3.44 cGPA, 3.36sGPA: Bad committee letter, 506 MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueScar

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • 3.44 cGPA and 3.36sGPA :
I have to go in detail with this one. I graduated with a 3.19 in Biochem/mol bio. I took 54 credits in a DIY postbacc at another 4 year university, with A's in each of them, along with 12 hours of retakes.. That put a former 3.19 cGPA up to a 3.44 cGPA.
  • MCAT score(s): 497 3 years ago, 506 in January (126,124,127,129)
  • State of residence: Texas
  • Asian, ORM
  • graduated with 3.19, then 54 credits DIY postbacc of 4.0, pulled that up to a 3.44
  • Clinical experience: 200 plus hours in a hospital, and at a clinic for the homeless.
  • Over 600 hours as a research assistant in a neurobiology and pysch lab (acknowledged in 1 paper so far).
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 80 hours with a PCP, 10 hours with psychiatrist, 10 hours with GI, 10 hours with dermatologist
  • Non-clinical volunteering: About 20 hours at a retirement home for those with alzheimers and dementia, 40 hours with hurricane relief in Houston
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
    The usual premed clubs. I was also in intramural for basketball, and a ping pong team.
  • Relevant honors or awards: I was crap during my undergrad, but got Dean's list in each semester (2 full years) in my DIY postbacc.
HERE ARE MY MAJOR QUESTIONS:

My 4 letter of recommendation are solid. However, after all this work as a 4.0 in my DIY postbacc, the HPAC (committee) gave me a "Recommend with reservation" this morning when I got the email. Their reason: my grades were inconsistent. I only gave them the last 3 sems worth of grades since I am still completing this semester (which I know for a fact I will be getting all A's once again!

1) Should I send in my committee packet with a "recommend with reservation" to TMDSAS and AACOMAS? Or they gave me a second option: to send it in by withholding their decision. it would simply be a cover letter saying I participated in the HPAC review process.

2) What are my chances- really? I am applying to AACOMAS to TMDSAS. I am pretty worried, and thank you who answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) So what I'm trying to figure out is where you committee letter is from. Is it from your original undergrad or where you are pursuing your postbac if they are not one in the same? If it's a Texas school, the Texas medical schools know which undergrad programs have committees writing letters and which don't. Of course, your choice to either go with a packet with their evaluation of recommend with reservations isn't better if they just sent a confirmation letter that you went through the review process. Do you other references know about the committee's position?

2) I think your non-clinical volunteering hours are a little light (60 hours?) and working in a senior living center with people with Alzheimer's could be chalked up a little bit as clinical-related volunteering enough. That might be a problem given that you have so much in other experience areas.

1) So what I'm trying to figure out is where you committee letter is from. Is it from your original undergrad or where you are pursuing your postbac if they are not one in the same? If it's a Texas school, the Texas medical schools know which undergrad programs have committees writing letters and which don't. Of course, your choice to either go with a packet with their evaluation of recommend with reservations isn't better if they just sent a confirmation letter that you went through the review process. Do you other references know about the committee's position?

2) I think your non-clinical volunteering hours are a little light (60 hours?) and working in a senior living center with people with Alzheimer's could be chalked up a little bit as clinical-related volunteering enough. That might be a problem given that you have so much in other experience areas.
1)Committee letter is from the school I am doing my DIY postbacc at, in Texas as well. I don't know too much else regarding the committee.
2) I have other hours from random events, adding up to maybe 200 hours? I was planning on grouping them in two major groups. Thanks again Mr. Smile.

Members don't see this ad :)
1)Committee letter is from the school I am doing my DIY postbacc at, in Texas as well. I don't know too much else regarding the committee.
2) I have other hours from random events, adding up to maybe 200 hours? I was planning on grouping them in two major groups. Thanks again Mr. Smile.
1) Texas med schools know their own undergraduate programs' use of committee letters and should be familiar with the nuances of getting a "participatory" letter or not getting one. How are strong your solicited references?
2) Did you provide this information for your HPAC evaluation?

1) Texas med schools know their own undergraduate programs' use of committee letters and should be familiar with the nuances of getting a "participatory" letter or not getting one. How are strong your solicited references?
2) Did you provide this information for your HPAC evaluation?
They said my strengths were in my volunteering and research. Also, they said my 4 letters were all solid.