MD & DO 3.44 cGPA 3.38 sGPA 520 MCAT WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avant Garbage

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
PLEASE DON'T QUOTE!

Hey all!

I'm hoping for some feedback on whether I'm realistically eligible for next cycle. I'm mostly concerned that my lack of clinical experience before my senior year, coupled with my meager GPA will disqualify me from most MDs. I went ahead and italicized hours that I don't actually have yet, but are planned for the next nine months.

Stats
  • 3.44 cGPA, 3.38 sGPA, deflated by 2.8 avg from Freshman year before I was considering a career in medicine
  • 520 MCAT (129/131/131/129)
  • ORM, male, traditional
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
  • None at the moment (yikes, I know) but I'm starting a volunteer program in February that should bring me to ~120 hours by the time I submit next July.
  • Looking for scribing jobs for gap year, but won't have many hours to report on application
Research experience and productivity
  • 1.5 years on a project in a non-clinical setting, no pubs
Shadowing experience and specialties represented
  • General Surgery (20 hours split between clinic and OR)
  • MD family medicine (30 hours)
  • Scheduled for another 20ish hours in the winter with a rural DO
Non-clinical volunteering
  • Tutor-mentor for at-risk students through campus Academic Services (60 hours, will have ~100 by app time)
  • Volunteer biology tutor for a campus club (60 hours, hoping to continue if time allows, will likely cut time here in order to fit more clinic hours)
  • Just recently started at homeless shelter, will have ~100 hours by app submission
  • Organizing various philanthropy events through pre-med club (annual 5k, bake sales, food drives, etc) Need to backtrack and figure out how much time I've spent here, but probably only around 10 hours per quarter.
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
Lead Bio tutor for campus study center (~200 hours by app time)
"Jr. TA" Help lead group discussions for intro Immunology course (48 hours)
Worked concierge type services for Sophomore and Junior summers (~500 hours)
Senior leadership of large Pre-Med honor society, plan campus events, philanthropy, and operate as the liaison for groups like Kaplan, TPR and local EMT/EKG cert programs.

Upward trend from Freshman year once I realized I was capable enough and could find satisfaction in learning. Hoping to use the momentum from my MCAT to crush all my senior classes, but my state med school only looks at years 1-3 so I'm not putting too much faith in some miraculous, last-minute recovery.

Interested to hear people's thoughts. I've considered skipping this cycle just to build up a better app for next time, but I'm worried about not getting in before my MCAT expires (took it this September). Considering DO schools, but waiting to get time with the DO I'm shadowing to put much more thought into it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your are fine for all DO schools with your stats so apply to any that appeal to you. For MD schools consider these:
Your state public schools (where is your state of residence?)
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new schools that open for 2019 (Seton Hall, Kaiser, Roseman, NOVA MD)