3.45 cgpa/ 3.23 sGPA/ ?? MCAT chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpmiz

M4
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! So I’m a first semester junior, and after having an appointment with my advisor my confidence is pretty much destroyed. I know my grades are too low for MD, but I’m perfectly fine going D.O! My cGPA is a 3.45 and my science is 3.23, but these might be higher after this semester and next. I haven’t taken the MCAT yet but I’ve been doing practice ones and have been getting around 30-32. I’ve done about 150 hours of volunteering at the hospital, about three years at a nursing home, two years at a Food bank and Ronald McDonald House, two years teaching english to foreign students, and I have about 40 hours of shadowing. I’m on the scholarship board in my sorority which is sort of leadership I guess, and I’m starting research next semester! My pre-health advisor told me I have no chance, but I wanted to ask here anyway. Will I be okay for DO if I get a decent MCAT score? Is there anything really obvious that I’m missing that I should be doing before I apply? Also can anyone give me some recommendations on schools I should apply to, or ones I should avoid?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! So I’m a first semester junior, and after having an appointment with my advisor my confidence is pretty much destroyed. I know my grades are too low for MD, but I’m perfectly fine going D.O! My cGPA is a 3.45 and my science is 3.23, but these might be higher after this semester and next. I haven’t taken the MCAT yet but I’ve been doing practice ones and have been getting around 30-32. I’ve done about 150 hours of volunteering at the hospital, about three years at a nursing home, two years at a Food bank and Ronald McDonald House, two years teaching english to foreign students, and I have about 40 hours of shadowing. I’m on the scholarship board in my sorority which is sort of leadership I guess, and I’m starting research next semester! My pre-health advisor told me I have no chance, but I wanted to ask here anyway. Will I be okay for DO if I get a decent MCAT score? Is there anything really obvious that I’m missing that I should be doing before I apply? Also can anyone give me some recommendations on schools I should apply to, or ones I should avoid?

Thanks everyone!

Well, stop visiting your advisor then. If you score a high twenties/low thirties and get some DO shadowing with a letter from a DO as well you will have a good shot at it. If you score >33 you'd even have a real shot at some MDs.