3.45 cGPA 3.3 sGPA 27 diagnostic MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

James Wallace

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what are my chances with 3.45 cGPA and 3.3 GPA? I may be underrating myself as I haven't graduated yet and I still have two semesters to pull my GPA up. Also my MCAT diagnostic through Kaplan Test Prep was 27.

EC's:
-member of Judicial Council on campus
-3 mths in India @ emergency clinic
-2 summers working as ophthalmic technician
-100+ hrs clinical experience
-started own non-profit
-150+ shadowning hours (ER, local offices, etc.)
-Letters of Rec: 1 Family Doc, 1 ER doc, 1 opthalmologist, 1 peer (harvard med student), 1 anatomy professor, and faculty member that governs the judicial board on campus (powerful lady).

I have been told by all doc's that I have a pretty good chance at DO (which I think I may actually like better). But part of me wants to go for MD. Assuming I am able to pull my GPA up to 3.55-3.6 and maintain or improve my MCAT score what are my chances at a low-mid range MD school?

Please constructive criticism only. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You would be competitive for a lot of DO programs. To be competitive for MDs you would need that higher GPA you mentioned and to bring the MCAT up to 30, preferably 32 or greater.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends how much you've studied before your diagnostic. If that is before any studying, then you're not in that bad of shape

a
So what are my chances with 3.45 cGPA and 3.3 GPA? I may be underrating myself as I haven't graduated yet and I still have two semesters to pull my GPA up. Also my MCAT diagnostic through Kaplan Test Prep was 27.

EC's:
-member of Judicial Council on campus
-3 mths in India @ emergency clinic
-2 summers working as ophthalmic technician
-100+ hrs clinical experience
-started own non-profit
-150+ shadowning hours (ER, local offices, etc.)
-Letters of Rec: 1 Family Doc, 1 ER doc, 1 opthalmologist, 1 peer (harvard med student), 1 anatomy professor, and faculty member that governs the judicial board on campus (powerful lady).

I have been told by all doc's that I have a pretty good chance at DO (which I think I may actually like better). But part of me wants to go for MD. Assuming I am able to pull my GPA up to 3.55-3.6 and maintain or improve my MCAT score what are my chances at a low-mid range MD school?

Please constructive criticism only. Thanks.
3.5/3.6 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA along with a 35ish MCAT should have relatively little difficulty getting into some MD. given, of course, the ECs are strong.

a 27 diagnostic MCAT is very good, and you can easily aim for the upper 30s with intensive studying. my kaplan diagnostic was a 24 with a 10 in verbal. my actual is a 35 with a 15 in verbal.

raise your GPA however much you can, but at this point, you really need that MCAT to spearhead your MD assault. your ECs also look a bit sparse, so work on that as well.

a

3.5/3.6 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA along with a 35ish MCAT should have relatively little difficulty getting into some MD. given, of course, the ECs are strong.

a 27 diagnostic MCAT is very good, and you can easily aim for the upper 30s with intensive studying. my kaplan diagnostic was a 24 with a 10 in verbal. my actual is a 35 with a 15 in verbal.

raise your GPA however much you can, but at this point, you really need that MCAT to spearhead your MD assault. your ECs also look a bit sparse, so work on that as well.

Strongly concur.

OP try to get your GPA to 3.5 and really focus on the MCAT. A 27 is a good place to start you should have no problem scoring in the 30s after you study and take more practice exams. Good luck!