3.45 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 32 MCAT, Completing PhD Immunology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Retake the MCAT?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Nodlike

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
4.0 Graduate GPA at a low-mid range school, and I have submitted a first author paper and it is in review. I applied this year not knowing if I'd finish, and haven't heard any favorable response. I hope to publish two more first author manuscripts before May, one at least seems very likely. My fellowship has been funded for another year, so it isn't the end of the world. 100+ shadowing hours, 88 volunteering hours. President two societies, member of several organizations, phi kappa phi, so plenty of ECs I think.

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

4.0 Graduate GPA at a low-mid range school, and I have submitted a first author paper and it is in review. I applied this year not knowing if I'd finish, and haven't heard any favorable response. I hope to publish two more first author manuscripts before May, one at least seems very likely. My fellowship has been funded for another year, so it isn't the end of the world. 100+ shadowing hours, 88 volunteering hours. President two societies, member of several organizations, phi kappa phi, so plenty of ECs I think.
While a 35+ MCAT score would be delightful, if you applied to the right schools, namely those willing to consider the GPA of an advanced degree in a hard science like Immunology, you'd be better served to put some extra time into your ECs. I'd consider 88ish volunteer hours to be sparse, especially if that is your sole source of both active clinical experience (ie not passive shadowing), as well as nonmedical community service.

What ECs other than research do you have RECENT and current involvement in?

A submitted paper gives no benefit to a med school application. If it is accepted, let schools know.

Does your PI feel you are on track to graduate this academic year? Did his letter reflect that (to your knowledge)?

While a 35+ MCAT score would be delightful, if you applied to the right schools, namely those willing to consider the GPA of an advanced degree in a hard science like Immunology, you'd be better served to put some extra time into your ECs. I'd consider 88ish volunteer hours to be sparse, especially if that is your sole source of both active clinical experience (ie not passive shadowing), as well as nonmedical community service.

What ECs other than research do you have RECENT and current involvement in?

A submitted paper gives no benefit to a med school application. If it is accepted, let schools know.

Does your PI feel you are on track to graduate this academic year? Did his letter reflect that (to your knowledge)?

I volunteer at the NICU at my local hospital, I am president of the Biology Graduate Student Association (we take trips to other universities in an attempt introduce students to faculty to foster Phd, postdoc placement, which I organized and executed), I am president/founder of the Academic Alliance (organize events to bring leaders from the biotech industry to meet Ph.D. and masters students to create job opportunities and increase perception of available career options). My PI has written a letter of support for my graduation in addition to voicing it in his letter, but I understand because I am as of yet unpublished, how medical schools may view that as a liability.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you have Leadership activities well represented.

For the sake of interview conversations and due to the possibility of reapplication, might you be able to get involved in some nonmedical community service that helps the poor? Even just an hour a week would be helpful. Ideally, your choice would spring from another hobby, interest, or past experience.

The vast majority of med school applicants have no publications to list, but fortunately by the time you have the PhD, you will have the expectations that go along with having the degree covered, from what you described above.

Which specialties did you include on your Shadowing list?

Cardiology (By far the most), Gastroenterology, Infectious Disease, Emergency, General Practice, and Rheumatology. Cardiology was for around 45 hours and counting, and rheumatology/ family medicine were eight hours each with everything else in between.