gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
The MCAT is a linchpin around which the rest of your application turns. The data you have posted can be consistent with success if you apply strategically.

OP
J
Jul 14, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Any ideas? Is mid-tier reachable? High tier - completely out I assume?

Aug 4, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
If 35 is what your real MCAT scores turns out to be then you're in a great shape to get accepted into any good MD/DO school. You have pretty good research experience, you might wanna think about applying to MD/PhD programs as well :)

OP
J
Jul 14, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
If 35 is what your real MCAT scores turns out to be then you're in a great shape to get accepted into any good MD/DO school. You have pretty good research experience, you might wanna think about applying to MD/PhD programs as well :)
What schools will my GPA keep me 100% out of for MD? What about for MD/PhD? (I do have MSAR, and I realize that I'm at or below 10% for just about everywhere, so…)

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
  • With a 35 MCAT, a 3.45 GPA with an upward trend isn't a big problem. The MCAT proves you're smart; the upward trend proves you're serious.
  • With a 30 MCAT, it's problematic but surmountable. The schools may not be motivated enough to dig for the upward trend unless your personal statement or ECs are compelling.
  • With a 27 MCAT, it probably is fatal for MD, but DO is still very possible.

The point is -- Until you have the real MCAT in the bag, all of this is pure conjecture. Prepare diligently, get your real score, then post again when you've got the facts.

Reactions: gyngyn

MedWonk

高飛車
7+ Year Member
May 13, 2010
New England
Status
Medical Student
If you have a 35 MCAT, you'll have stats similar to mine. I had an upward trend in my post bacc and good ECs. If you do get a 35 on your MCAT, then I think you have a decent chance. If you get closer to a 30, then you'll have some trouble and DO may be a more viable option.

Apr 12, 2012
Earth
Status
Non-Student
  • With a 35 MCAT, a 3.45 GPA with an upward trend isn't a big problem. The MCAT proves you're smart; the upward trend proves you're serious.
  • With a 30 MCAT, it's problematic but surmountable. The schools may not be motivated enough to dig for the upward trend unless your personal statement or ECs are compelling.
  • With a 27 MCAT, it probably is fatal for MD, but DO is still very possible.
The point is -- Until you have the real MCAT in the bag, all of this is pure conjecture. Prepare diligently, get your real score, then post again when you've got the facts.
I agree with this. On what do you predicate your MCAT prediction? There are several students that underperform on the real exam. If you come back with a real score, we may be able to be more helpful.