3.45 cum gpa 3.6 science dental chances???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KLsb%6

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I have not taken the DAT yet (plan to in July).
I was a varsity athlete in college and worked for a year in real estate finance after. I have hundreds of clinical hours in dental assisting and oral surgery assisting. I tutor at risk kids in STEM subjects at a local middle school. Avid metal and wood worker. What would be a decent DAT score to have a shot at any school?? Some of my prerequisites are at CC (not all).

Members don't see this ad.

You've got as pretty good shot.

GPA is good, ECs look great, get a 1921 on your DAT and you'll probably be good to go.

Reactions: 2 users
You definitely have a chance. Don't worry about your credits being from a CC, just be aware of the schools that do not accept them. Score well on the DAT and I'm sure you will have your chance. Don't get discouraged by anything or anybody on here that says you cant do it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings,

I was a varsity athlete in college and worked for a year in real estate finance after. I have hundreds of clinical hours in dental assisting and oral surgery assisting. I tutor at risk kids in STEM subjects at a local middle school. Avid metal and wood worker. What would be a decent DAT score to have a shot at any school?? Some of my prerequisites are at CC (not all).

shoot for 21+ on DAT with no low scoring sections (below an 18)

once you take the DAT and get the score I can gauge your chances then for dental school

GPA is pretty good and science GPA is great, just as the other said to aim for around 20s across the board on the DAT (AA, TS, PAT) and you should be in good shape.

GPA is pretty good and science GPA is great, just as the other said to aim for around 20s across the board on the DAT (AA, TS, PAT) and you should be in good shape.

Thanks guys. I am a NC resident and I do have my two physics classes pending. They will not be on the transcript when I apply. I also volunteer at some free dental clinics around NC and in my area. Luckily there are two schools (ECU & UNC) in state....... However, I do not know if I could stomach a possible $400k bill out of state. Financially speaking, with interests, it makes no fiscal sense. I've thought about the navy, being a former D1 athlete maybe that can help?? Thoughts? Again, I greatly appreciate your thoughts. My older brother and soon to be wife are 4th year med students so I hear it from their ends lol

Some OOS schools give instate tuition after a year and would be 300k~. Do your research carefully.

Thanks Likkriue for that input! I will research that..Do you know of some OOS off the top of your head. Thank you for the help! Also does anyone suggest the Kaplan DAT course review class? I've heard mixed reviews obviously. My buddy I lived with got a 23AA and just studied what Kaplan gave him. I also have the DAT destroyer materials.

Last edited:
Yea you got some nice instate schools and I would really shoot for those in addition to applying broadly in what makes sense to you. I know OSU and Louisville allow you to apply for residency after the first year and there are many others so yea it would take a little bit of research. Most of the private schools set a baseline tuition regardless of residency and tend to be quite pricy. Then I haven't taken Kaplan but I heard good things about it but I would recommend chad's videos for the two chemistries combined with whatever else your considering. Also being a D1 athlete is a great thing to put on a resume with ur volunteering experiences (they like to see well rounded applicants.)

Yea you got some nice instate schools and I would really shoot for those in addition to applying broadly in what makes sense to you. I know OSU and Louisville allow you to apply for residency after the first year and there are many others so yea it would take a little bit of research. Most of the private schools set a baseline tuition regardless of residency and tend to be quite pricy. Then I haven't taken Kaplan but I heard good things about it but I would recommend chad's videos for the two chemistries combined with whatever else your considering. Also being a D1 athlete is a great thing to put on a resume with ur volunteering experiences (they like to see well rounded applicants.)

Thanks ArabBagel for your input (btw solid name). The only dilemma is the percentage of out of state students that those schools except per class (very small). Would it make sense to apply to those?? In the grand scheme of things I do not have a good cum GPA. It is not bad but not good. The only thing i really have are my EC, work experience (real estate) I actually helped dentists and physicians set up their offices, and volunteering (undeserved clinics and schools).

So basically I am banking on a DAT prayer in order to be a "competitive" OOS applicant.

Thanks ArabBagel for your input (btw solid name). The only dilemma is the percentage of out of state students that those schools except per class (very small). Would it make sense to apply to those?? In the grand scheme of things I do not have a good cum GPA. It is not bad but not good. The only thing i really have are my EC, work experience (real estate) I actually helped dentists and physicians set up their offices, and volunteering (undeserved clinics and schools).

So basically I am banking on a DAT prayer in order to be a "competitive" OOS applicant.
Hahah thanks on the name. Yea there are a few worth applying to although most would be fairly difficult to get into but def not impossible. Instate schools are prolly your best bet but it wouldn't hurt to apply to a couple more even if you have to apply to private ones. Your EC's are great I would just recommend doing research if you have not already.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/schools-and-changing-residency-the-list.1113135/ This link says no to Louisville offering in-state after a year. Has that changed? I'm not trying to debunk you or anything, if that is true I want to add Louisville to my list.

EDIT: I just looked up OSU's regulations on residency. It seems quite easy on the website, but you obviously need to plan ahead, so I guess you also need to look into all of the small hoops involved when researching this stuff.

From their website: "
Residency
You must physically reside in Ohio by August, in order to be considered for in-state residency for the coinciding academic year. If you decide to move to Ohio prior to August, your "residency clock" will start at that time. In order ofr you to be considered a resident of Ohio you must meet the residency requirements one-year prior to the term you are desiring residency for. Example: If you desire residency starting with the first semester of your D2 (second year) year, you would want to be residing in Ohio no later than May of the year prior.

If you did not graduate from an Ohio high school, you must be able to show proof of your living arrangements with a valid date. If you are married and planning on your spouse working throughout the year, you will still receive residency if your spouse begins work before the start of the first semester in August.

Forever Buckeye: Students who have graduated from an Ohio high school, but attended college outside of Ohio and/or moved out of state since graduation, are considered a “Forever Buckeye” and a resident of Ohio for the purpose of tuition. "

Last edited:
Not entirely sure on louisville, I've heard it on other dental student but yea you would have to research which ones are good to apply to. But yea I got lucky being an ohio resident lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks SmiletsLife for your input and information. Yeah I will definitely look into these two schools. I mean adding research would not happen now. I was just mainly focus on shadowing hours, volunteering, and clinical work. I pretty much know the business inside and out from working the real estate side for 1+ years. So i was just focused on the basics. I would definitely add that if I had to apply for a second time though. Thank you ArabBagel for that information.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm glad if I could help in anyway, and I meant researching schools.

Would it be worth it financially going to a school like NYU, USC, or AT Still? I am pretty good at managing finances from my background but excluding any military or loan repayment options, has anyone paid that debt off in 5-8 years strictly from working? Or could it be done?

Greetings,

Yeas thats great! just get like a 20 or higher on your DAT and that should do it

Reactions: 1 users
Would it be worth it financially going to a school like NYU, USC, or AT Still? I am pretty good at managing finances from my background but excluding any military or loan repayment options, has anyone paid that debt off in 5-8 years strictly from working? Or could it be done?

To pay off your debt (assuming $600k after living, interest, etc.) in 5 years you're looking at about $10k/month (nearly impossible) and for 8 years it would be $6,250/month.

Needless to say you would have to pay it off in 15-20 years basically? Or live with the parents and go to town. If this is the case, why are people doing that?

Last edited:
Don't quote me on this, but I think the standard is to pay it off over 10 years. I honestly haven't put too much thought into d-school debt yet, so I'll let someone else more knowledgeable take over...

Hey, I'm also former d1 athlete with almost identical stats with no research. 5 interviews. DM me if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile