Sep 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello,
I was wondering what schools I should be applying for?? Personally, I'd like to stay in Texas.
Here are my stats and extracurricular activities:
  • Biomedical Engineer in U.S. college ranked Top 5 for BME, URM status, TX resident
  • 3.45 GPA, 3.4 sGPA. This is mainly because I had one very bad semester my sophomore fall semester(2.2 gpa). However, my GPA for the last 2 years has been going up. 3.3->3.83->4.0->4.0
  • 512 MCAT (125 CARS, 128 Chem/PHYS, 130 BIO/BIOCHEM, 130 PSYC/SOC)
  • Tissue Eng. research for three years at my school with 3 publications and 3 conferences/posters.
  • BME Design Team and came up with a medical device project that resulted in my team forming a company, filing a patent, and receiving $45,000 in funding from winning several Business Plan Competitions and grants. Presented in 3 conferences.
  • President of a school organization that teaches small children about having healthy lifestyles (3 years).
  • President of another organization for which I translate in Spanish/English between patients and doctors at a free walk-in clinic (3 years).
Summer experiences:
  • 1st summer: Research at my college lab (3 months)
  • 2nd Summer: Internship at Biophysics lab and Teaching assistant for lab research course for URM high school students (2 months)
  • 3rd Summer: Volunteered abroad at a hospital/clinic for low SES patients. 6 weeks. ~200 hours
  • 4th Summer: Still haven't decided. Any suggestions?
I have several shadowing experiences in hospitals in the U.S. as well(>75 hours).
Good rec letters overall but struggling to find someone to write a good Humanities rec letter.
I will also be taking a gap year and do a one-year MHS Biochemistry program to boost my application.
Lastly, last semester I received an ethics violation for citing sources improperly in an essay. I received an Unsatisfactory grade (U/S; pass/fail).

School List:

Baylor
Southwestern
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
UT San Antonio
UT Galveston
UT Houston
UT Austin
Michigan
Northwestern
Johns Hopkins
Yale
UCLA
UCSD

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I think your biggest hurdle is definitely going to be the ethics violation since you are required to inform schools of any disciplinary action regardless of whether or not it's listed on a transcript. With it being so recent and on top of your GPA, the gap year is likely going to be crucial for your app. Do well and show that you are maturing and moving past the ethics issue (explain in very well in your app) and I would think you should get II's from your state schools, especially with your MCAT score. The top tier med schools may be harder to swing with the violation on your record but if you feel that you can make a compelling case against it then go for it.

JessebenBenjamin

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Roma
Status
Medical Student
I think your biggest hurdle is definitely going to be the ethics violation since you are required to inform schools of any disciplinary action regardless of whether or not it's listed on a transcript. With it being so recent and on top of your GPA, the gap year is likely going to be crucial for your app. Do well and show that you are maturing and moving past the ethics issue (explain in very well in your app) and I would think you should get II's from your state schools, especially with your MCAT score. The top tier med schools may be harder to swing with the violation on your record but if you feel that you can make a compelling case against it then go for it.
Do you really think that ethics violation would be an issue? He did;t exactly cheat... he was just sloppy with his references. i think it could/should be overlooked if he explains it well and shows that "he learned from the experience".

Hello,
I was wondering what schools I should be applying for?? Personally, I'd like to stay in Texas.
Here are my stats and extracurricular activities:
  • Biomedical Engineer in U.S. college ranked Top 5 for BME, URM status, TX resident
  • 3.45 GPA, 3.4 sGPA. This is mainly because I had one very bad semester my sophomore fall semester(2.2 gpa). However, my GPA for the last 2 years has been going up. 3.3->3.83->4.0->4.0
  • 512 MCAT (125 CARS, 128 Chem/PHYS, 130 BIO/BIOCHEM, 130 PSYC/SOC)
  • Tissue Eng. research for three years at my school with 3 publications and 3 conferences/posters.
  • BME Design Team and came up with a medical device project that resulted in my team forming a company, filing a patent, and receiving $45,000 in funding from winning several Business Plan Competitions and grants. Presented in 3 conferences.
  • President of a school organization that teaches small children about having healthy lifestyles (3 years).
  • President of another organization for which I translate in Spanish/English between patients and doctors at a free walk-in clinic (3 years).
Summer experiences:
  • 1st summer: Research at my college lab (3 months)
  • 2nd Summer: Internship at Biophysics lab and Teaching assistant for lab research course for URM high school students (2 months)
  • 3rd Summer: Volunteered abroad at a hospital/clinic for low SES patients. 6 weeks. ~200 hours
  • 4th Summer: Still haven't decided. Any suggestions?
I have several shadowing experiences in hospitals in the U.S. as well(>75 hours).
Good rec letters overall but struggling to find someone to write a good Humanities rec letter.
I will also be taking a gap year and do a one-year MHS Biochemistry program to boost my application.
Lastly, last semester I received an ethics violation for citing sources improperly in an essay. I received an Unsatisfactory grade (U/S; pass/fail).

School List:

Baylor
Southwestern
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
UT San Antonio
UT Galveston
UT Houston
UT Austin
Michigan
Northwestern
Johns Hopkins
Yale
UCLA
UCSD
If this infraction is not too big of a big deal... I say you have a good very solid app.
You said you want to stay in Texas, but you I think you have a nice shot at plenty of non-Texas schools as well.
I'm inclined to assume what your ethnicity is... but I'll ask.
What community do you represent?

About the Ads
Jan 24, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Oh I definitely agree, if that really is all there is to the violation and he can adequately explain it, it should be a hurdle that can be overcome. I just meant to stress that he needs to explain it thoroughly. However, I've never heard of a university slapping a student with an ethics violation for a simple mix up on citing sources and for me it would raise questions as to how serious it was, if it was intentionally deceitful, etc. There are many, many qualified students without ethics infractions applying so, again, the explanation hear is key.
You have a lot of positives going for you and that was the only major thing I saw hindering you. Your MCAT is fantastic and your URM status will also give you a boost.

Smoove

2+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
You're going to be fine. shouldnt have too much trouble getting into the Texas schools minus Baylor. California schools will be reaches because well...California lol. I was in a similar position as you this cycle, so PM me if you need any help!

Sep 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Do you really think that ethics violation would be an issue? He did;t exactly cheat... he was just sloppy with his references. i think it could/should be overlooked if he explains it well and shows that "he learned from the experience".

If this infraction is not too big of a big deal... I say you have a good very solid app.
You said you want to stay in Texas, but you I think you have a nice shot at plenty of non-Texas schools as well.
I'm inclined to assume what your ethnicity is... but I'll ask.
What community do you represent?
Mexican-American

About the Ads