3.45 or 3.5 BCPM - is there a big difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megan801

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I be worried about the difference between those two GPAs? Will that affect my chances much of getting into medical school? And do any schools actually have cutoff points?

Members don't see this ad.

It shouldn't make a difference. Any positive or negative trends in your grades would be more likely to influence their decision. And yes, some schools do have a cut-off but it'll vary with each school. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
29 or 30, is there a big difference? Same question here.
There are cut-off points for applying. They generally are at least an 8 in each section and I think some schools set 25-27 as the cut-off point for composite scores. Just try to maybe take two decent but easier science classes.

Last edited:
Showing an upward or downward trend in your GPA is the most important thing. There is no appreciable difference between those two. Both of them are decent, BTW.

@Megan801 - If that's you in your avatar, you should probably change it to maintain anonymity. My avatar is a picture of me, but I'm willing to deal with all of the potential repercussions.

Both of them are below average for US MD programs..the whole 3.5 magic number thing doesn't exist anymore. 3.5 is now subpar unfortunately, to feel comfortable being able to apply to a broad number of allopathic schools I would shoot for a 3.7+. Its crazy how competitive admissions have become; going by the recent MSAR almost all schools median GPA seem to be 3.7+. And national average for accepted students on MCAT is now 32, not 30 like it used to be. With that 2 point jump in MCAT I feel GPA has gone up by 0.2, i.e. 3.5 to 3.7 for acceptable. Not to say you can't get in with a 3.5 op, cause you can! But I wouldn't be feeling comfortable going into the process with a 3.5.But I'm no expert--just another pre-med so take my advice with a grain of salt.