3.45 sGPA, 33 MCAT - DO/MD??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genomalkin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first time posting on SDN. Just looking for some third party opinions on my chances of getting into MD vs. DO. Essentially, I'm worried my science GPA is too low and will prevent me from getting into MD, so I'm wondering if I should just call a spade a spade and apply only to DOs. Save the money, etc. My stats are:

3.45 sGPA, 3.56 cumulative
Psychology major, honors program (with honors thesis) at a mid-high tier undergrad
UPenn Post Bacc (3.59 GPA in the program, all upper level science classes)
33 MCAT

Fairly solid ECs, good rec letters, etc.

So what do y'all think? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I should add that there is a *strong* upward trend in my grades (like, 3.0 sophomore year to 3.9 senior year, plus the 3.59 at penn). Does that count for anything? Crossing my fingers on that one lol

I think you will get into at least a low to mid-tier MD program, depending on your definition of "fairly solid". If you can look at at least 30% of SDN posts without feeling sorry for yourself, I say go all out for the MD. I would apply to at least 20 programs for your best shot. Try applying to all of the schools with around a 30-32 average MCAT.

I think you will get into at least a low to mid-tier MD program, depending on your definition of "fairly solid". If you can look at at least 30% of SDN posts without feeling sorry for yourself, I say go all out for the MD. I would apply to at least 20 programs for your best shot. Try applying to all of the schools with around a 30-32 average MCAT.

thanks so much for the reply!

for specificity's sake, my "fairly solid" ECs include: clinical research at CHOP (ongoing), 300+ hours of clinical volunteering, tons of other volunteering in college (including 2 years of a leadership position), shadowing, and working (in data entry) in a private practice office. so, not stellar like some people's, but fairly solid, I think (hope lol).