MD 3.45cGPA, 3.56sGPA, 29 MCAT. SC resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSouthFace

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Year: Senior

Major: Biology

Demo: W, M

School(s): Fresh/Soph- Medium 4-year branch campus. Jun/Sen- large state university (same system, main campus)

GPA:

Freshman GPA was extremely low (2.9 -yes, I have a good "excuse" mentioned in my PS). Otherwise a strong upward trend especially this year (my senior year) with probably a total 4.0 while taking some really tough upper-level bio/chem classes. The GPAs listed above in the heading are what I project to graduate with:/

MCAT:
I originally planned to apply last year (my junior year). I scored a 29 last May: 10B, 10P, 9VR. With my lower-than-average GPA and somewhat of a disappointing MCAT I decided to wait a year to apply, get my GPAs a little higher, re-take the MCAT and increase some ECs.

I am re-taking the MCAT in late May with way more study time under my belt vs last year.

Research:
None

ECs:
-EMT-B: I have two EMT jobs, the first for a nearby county EMS system and the second on campus at the university I am enrolled. I have worked as an EMT for 4 years now throughout college with numerous hours per week while also obtaining various promotions to leadership positions within both companies.

-Medical Scribe: I obtained Scribe training late last semester and have been working between 12-24 hours/week as a scribe for a local family medicine practice.

-Executive in pre-med society: When I transferred schools, I transferred into a much larger university and began to become heavily involved. I first joined the honors society at the start of my junior year. By the next semester I was elected Fundraising chairman. At the start of my senior year I was elected Treasurer.

-CPR instructor: Self-explanatory, classes held once every 2-3 weeks consisting of usually nursing students required by their curriculum to get the cert.

-Various volunteering: Clinics, ER, storm clean-up, etc...

Shadowing:

-ER: Level 1 trauma center with both MDs and DOs. Much time with the attending physician. (With lots of hands on bc of the EMT/CPR cert)

-Took trip to visit Mass. General (Boston, MA): Shadowed several types of surgeons(ex. stood in on an open heart surgery), EM residents, IM residents and the attending EM physician for 2 weeks, every day.

-Family medicine clinic: Shadowed MDs, DOs, and Nurse Practitioners in a family medicine setting.

LORs:
-School: Two letters from science professors

-Work: A letter from each employer (3 total). These will be exceptionally stellar. Also, one of the doctors I scribe for tells me he will write me a letter that will "have schools begging you to come."

-Shadowing/volunteering: 1 from attending EM MD (very good), 1 from 4th year DO resident, 1 from Family Medicine MD.

*note: I know this is a lot of LORs (7 total) -I don't have to use all of them although I know I can if I want to. The thing is, I know for a fact each one will be really good.

PS:
-My personal statement is really good. I believe I have many great experiences to talk about and my passion for people and medicine really shines through in the diction.

Applying to:
MUSC, USC, USC-G, *MCG (GRU now), VCOM-C, PCOM-GA, as well as a few others out of state.

*I know MCG is a GA state school but I live in a SC border county to GA and according to the admins there I am looked at closer due to my ties to the Augusta area, the "CSRA" if you're familiar.

Gap Year:
Continue to work. Possibly get involved in some sort research to see if I like it.

Basically, I know that my GPA is below average for almost all of the schools I am applying to. I am really hoping to make up for the deficit on my next MCAT. I am willing to add more schools in different states as needed and as the time gets closer to applying but I really want to stay around SC if possible. Other than that, I am an excellent communicator, especially when it comes to a higher-stress situation such as an interview. So, not to "toot my own horn" but I know that if I can at least get an interview, I will be golden.

Members don't see this ad.

Youy might be < avg for the SC state schools, but you're still in striking distance, so I encourge you to apply. You're fine for any DO program. Suggest you add some schools like Wake-Forest, Drexel, Temple, VCOM, LMU-COM, CampbellCOM, Jefferson, and any new MD program, except Hofstra. Get out of your comfort zone and your chances should be better.

Hubris is NOT a good thing for a med school applicant to have.

Other than that, I am an excellent communicator, especially when it comes to a higher-stress situation such as an interview. So, not to "toot my own horn" but I know that if I can at least get an interview, I will be golden.

Reactions: 1 users
Hubris is NOT a good thing for a med school applicant to have.

Other than that, I am an excellent communicator, especially when it comes to a higher-stress situation such as an interview. So, not to "toot my own horn" but I know that if I can at least get an interview, I will be golden.

Thank you for your comment!

I am really sorry that it sounded like I had any sort of confidence whatsoever. Instead, as I looked back at everything I had typed I thought to myself "I wouldn't give this guy a chance if I was critiquing him/her." So, in an effort to include something positive about myself I added my ability to communicate well as sort of a buffer for what is in my opinion, a very weak chance i.e. Why I am posting on "What are my chances?" Otherwise, I completely agree that arrogance is a poor quality.