3.46 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, 32 MCAT - Non-trad, NE resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nebraskadoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a non-traditional applicant with my degree in Bio (2 years out of undergrad, 24 yo) with a 3.46 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA with a slight downward trend, but no semester dipped below a 3.0. I applied last year with a 26 MCAT but was rejected and told by my state school to retake the MCAT and take some more science courses to prove I can handle the coursework.

My grad GPA (I am non-degree) is about a 3.8 with roughly 20 credits of upper level science over this last year. I will also be taking additional science courses this fall.

I also retook the MCAT this spring and received a 32 (13 BS, 11 PS, 8 VR)

My ECs are solid: Honor societies, greek involvement (very extensive, was also a leadership coach), student government, tutoring, minor research (only for part of a summer), 60 hrs of shadowing, 150 hrs of med volunteering, 100 hrs of non-med volunteering, and 2 jobs in health care: 2 years in a medical lab, 1 year doing clinical research.

Should have strong LORs this year as well.

Aside from my state school (Nebraska of course) which schools will I be competitive at? And, is there anything else I should be doing this fall except taking more classes/working/doing any volunteering I can pick up... ?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd look at the MSAR and private schools with MCAT averages of 30-32. Those would be your mid reaches (due to the low GPA and unbalanced MCAT). (You could add a dream school or two if you wish but that's up to you. Personally, I find spending an extra $100-200 on a school I am highly unlikely to get into very unappealing.) Your clinical experience looks great and you have at least a little research and some decent leadership it appears. For your match & safety schools, you will probably want to apply to some of the better DO programs. You would very competitive for them.