MD 3.47 cGPA, 3.44 sGPA, 508 MCAT, Strong Upward Trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SWW561

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've used these forums and the website alike for as long as I've been a Pre-Med, but only just decided to make an account as application for Fall 2018 looms nearer. I was looking to gain some insight on what you all think my chances for acceptance might be based on the details below. Thank you in advance for any help or constructive criticism.

1) As mentioned in the thread title, my cGPA is a 3.47, and my sGPA is a 3.44. This could change based on end of the semester grades, I calculated it with "worse case scenario" in mind (regarding this current semester as a senior).

2) 508 MCAT (126/126/128/128)

3) United States resident of Florida, Caucasian Male.

4) I go to an Honors College in South Florida that is a 'satellite campus' of a much larger University. 90% or more of the students here are pursuing graduate degrees in medicine.

5) Clincal: I took Global Medical Brigades trip to an impoverished nation for 9 days treating under served locals from mostly remote villages. I also spent two semesters volunteering at a Pediatric Oncology Children's Hospital (nationwide top 10 hospital, if that would even matter) with a focus on direct patient contact/ interaction.

6) Research: I have spent two years at the Scripps Research Institute's South Florida campus. I am currently developing a thesis on Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS) and its effects on abnormal behaviors, and the alterations in neural circuitry that give rise to them. Part of my thesis requirement for graduation of the Honors College also includes a poster and presentation on this work. Thus far, I truthfully don't know enough about the publication process to comment on that.

7) Shadowing: I have spent a couple hundred hours shadowing a Facial and Cranial Surgeon, roughly 100 hours shadowing a Mohs surgeon, and will begin shadowing a General Practitioner in the near future. Additionally, while on the medical mission trip I mentioned above, I spent two days shadowing Internists.

8) Non-clinical involvement: From high school (does something this far back even matter?) into my first year of college, I spent over 500 hours working in a Speech Pathology practice doing mostly clerical work. I have also organized "fundraisers" (blood donation days on campus) for OneBlood, and raised several thousand dollars for Children's Hospitals in my area. During my first couple years of college, I was Officer of Philanthropy for my fraternity, and our organization we benefited was MDA (Muscular Dystrophy Association). We raised more than $15,000 annually for two years straight. Lastly, I am a Big Brother in the Big Brothers Big Sisters association of America, which I dedicate several hours every Friday to.

9)Miscellaneous
-Vice President of the Pre Medical Society at my Univeristy
- Global Medical Brigades member
- Phi Eta Sigma Honors Society member
- I was fortunate enough to participate in an Environmental/Ecological startup company that was awarded a federal government contract to remove harmful, phosphorus-rich runoff in Florida's intracoastal waters (if you're from FL, you know how massive of a problem this is at the moment I'm sure)
- Contributing writer for a political website (I don't know if I would include this, as politics can obviously be a hot button issue, and the website itself was on the Conservative side).
- My undergraduate career lasted 5 years rather than the traditional 4. I lost my Mom to brain cancer weeks before my first semester (this is part of my motivation for wanting to go into Oncology). It took a toll on me, and my first few semesters were not only lacking in volume but also in quality. Once again, this is also a reason that my grades have a strong upward trend.
-I have worked several jobs throughout my undergraduate career.

LOR:
-my Cell Biology professor, who happened to also be my faculty and thesis advisor
- my supervisor at the research institution I am completing my thesis at
- a successful physician who owns and operates a renowned private practice in my area, and attended my reach school.

Lastly, SCHOOLS:
-University of Miami (a huge reach, I know. I have family friends that attended here and a LOR from a physician that obtained his MD from this college however)
-Univeristy of South Florida
-Florida State Univeristy
-University of Central Florida
-Nova Southeastern University (their MD school)
- Florida Atlantic University

I know this was lengthy, thank you to anyone that took the time to read or skim through it and offer their insights or opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bets are IS schools. You should apply to all of them.

Thank you for your input, I'm assuming "IS" is in state? All of the schools I listed are in state for me, I believe the only one I missed was UF not including the two DO schools. I didn't include it because I think its too far of a stretch :laugh:, but I'll be sure to send an application to all of the in state ones.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should also apply to the FL DO schools. Your stats are right in line for DO. Are you really going to only apply to six MD schools?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You should also apply to the FL DO schools. Your stats are right in line for DO. Are you really going to only apply to six MD schools?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks for the reply! I will definitely look into this, I know the acceptance standards vary slightly for the most part. I've always been more attracted to MD schools but I guess I should really start looking into how different or similar the two are to get a better understanding. I have other schools in mind, but the ones I listed are the schools I am certain I'll be applying to. Thanks again for the advice!

Here are some out of state schools to consider:

Albany
Creighton
Drexel
Loyola
MCw
NYMC
Oakland
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Jefferson
Temple
Vermont
VCU
West Virginia
Western Michigan
Wake Forest

Reactions: 1 users
With respect to the DO point, it would definitely be smarter to apply to some. Your situation is such that you are smack-dab in the median of stats for MD matriculants; your EC's are nice, so that will help.

However, it's risky to apply to solely MD schools in your situation because of the inherently hyper-competitive nature of this process. You could only apply to MD, and you probably will get interviews -- but that's fairly risky. I would therefore advise you to apply to a couple of DO schools just so you're ensured interviews and thus have higher chances of an acceptance or two.

Doing this would reduce your risk of having to reapply.

Reactions: 1 users
Here are some out of state schools to consider:

Albany
Creighton
Drexel
Loyola
MCw
NYMC
Oakland
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Jefferson
Temple
Vermont
VCU
West Virginia
Western Michigan
Wake Forest

Wow, thank you so much for this list! Much appreciated Frogger27, when I have some free time I will set aside a day to look into all of these

With respect to the DO point, it would definitely be smarter to apply to some. Your situation is such that you are smack-dab in the median of stats for MD matriculants; your EC's are nice, so that will help.

However, it's risky to apply to solely MD schools in your situation because of the inherently hyper-competitive nature of this process. You could only apply to MD, and you probably will get interviews -- but that's fairly risky. I would therefore advise you to apply to a couple of DO schools just so you're ensured interviews and thus have higher chances of an acceptance or two.

Doing this would reduce your risk of having to reapply.

Begoood95, Sincerely appreciate the in depth advice. I hope I don't come off as arrogant, but I really believe that interviews are my strong point, if Im fortunate enough to get to that stage during this cycle it will be a massive confidence boost. However, of course I don't want to take the risk of putting all of my eggs in one basket, so to speak. I agree with you, its definitely risky, and I will definitely apply to some DO schools as well. Thank you again for the thought out advice!