strong EC average stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

In Review

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone!

My GPA is 3.47 (low) but MCAT 523(high). I also co-founded a non-profit at the end of my freshman year and have been doing sustainable medical work in Haiti for the last four years, in-country. A fellowship was also created for me at NIH which is where I have been. I graduated 2017 and am taking two gap years. Over the last 4 years I’ve demonstrated a very direct & determined interest in global health and infectious diseases in community service and research.

I think I will have very strong LORs as well from a few top scientists in the field given my network.

I️ plan on applying to medical schools with a global health, or at least an international, focus. Is my GPA too low to be a competitive applicant? I’m looking at competitive top schools, I think I don’t have a shot though.

Thank you so much!!
You're literally SO fine don't even worry about that GPA. Just cast a wide net instead of ONLY focusing on top tiered schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Pay very careful attention: AIM HIGH!
So should he be applying to Harvard, Yale, and Stanford with his stellar MCAT and ECs, or does his low GPA kind of ding him there?

Reactions: 1 user
So should he be applying to Harvard, Yale, and Stanford with his stellar MCAT and ECs, or does his low GPA kind of ding him there?
There are some of those stratosphere schools that are less lenient on the GPA for whatever reason, like Hopkins. But many of them clearly have 10th %iles dipping into the 3.4 or 3.3s.

There are some of those stratosphere schools that are less lenient on the GPA for whatever reason, like Hopkins. But many of them clearly have 10th %iles dipping into the 3.4 or 3.3s.

Are you able to suggest a few more schools that may be more lenient on low GPA?

Last edited by a moderator:

I would say yes apply to those schools but also apply to others like UCLA, Case Western, Mayo Clinic, Columbia, Duke. These are all amazing schools with amazing reputations. According to MSAR, UCLA has taken as low as 3.38 (although they do favor instate but they still represent many states). Case has taken as low as a 3.45 sGPA and Mayo's 10th percentile for sGPA is 3.49. Duke is an amazing school and the 10th percentile GPA is 3.55. You are in good shape! MSAR is your friend