1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

3.48 cum gpa, 36MCAT, lots of clinical exp

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by henwey, Jan 7, 2009.

1. henwey

I am a double major at my university in both biology and philosophy, the philosophy being an honors program. My cum GPA is a 3.48 and my MCAT score is a 36. However, I feel extremely nervous regarding my chances at MD schools, such as Jefferson, as I feel these statistics are not up to par. In addition to these grades, I have over 300 hours of volunteer work in my local community, am a TA for microbiology, coach the crew team for the university's club team (rowed for a nationally ranked crew in high school), tutor local high school kids and volunteer at the local health clinic. I have shadowed both MD's and DO's.

I feel that my biggest strength though is my clinical experience, which is approaching the 3 year mark. I started as an orderly and eventually became the ER tech and medic (doing grunt work like EKGs, phlebotomy, assisting with sutures and the like). I am also responsible for responding to codes and starting compressions during the codes. Additionaly, I worked for the medical examiners office one summer as an autopsy tech and have seen pretty much everything possible and held every organ in the body. In no means am I trying to toot my own horn, I am just trying to give an honest run-down at what I will be presenting to med schools in addition to what I feel to be mediocre grades. Thanks for the responses.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Looking at the "school selection spreadsheet" sticky at the top of this forum, I see 3.7 and 31 are the mean acceptee stats for Jefferson. I think your excellent MCAT score more than compensates for your lower GPA. Your excellent clinical experience, community service and leadership are fine. I don't see a research experience mentioned, but this is not essential. I donnt know if Jefferson expects this or not, but otherwise, I'd say you have a good shot at getting in.

4. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think it is safe to say you will be a MD one day! :)

5. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

I agree you have a good chance of admission somewhere. Apply broadly. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

6. Dr Lyss

Dr Lyss Professional Student
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :thumbup::thumbup: be confident. With your MCAT & great clinical ECs you should have a good shot - but apply broadly. You never know!

7. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think you have a decent shot.
    Apply to a lot of schools, and sell your clinical experience in your personal statement and on the rest of the application.
    If you are still in school, try to bring the GPA up. If you are not, consider taking a class in night school each semester (upper level biology or biochem, or a gradate level biology course).

8. henwey

thanks for the feedback. but is it possible that they may take a lighter look on the gpa, considering the double major, the philosophy being an honors regimen? my science gpa is a 3.7 thats why i am curious

9. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm sorry to say that double majors, minors, and honors designation do not help at all.