3.48 sGPA, 3.49 cGPA, 34S MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolnooooo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.49
sGPA: 3.48

(These GPAs would be 3.82 each if it weren't for a D in Bio II and an F in Chem I my freshman year, I had to work to make money for my parents).
Retake - 2 years later: Bio II - A, Chem I - B (that was my last B for the next 56 credit hours)

My last 52 credit hours (all hard science) have been a 4.0 GPA.

MCAT: 34S

PS: 11
VR: 10
BS: 13

AMCAS Verified 2 days ago

Clinical Exposure:
High School:
Went to Medical Vocational High School for 3 years
Volunteered in Emergency, pediatrics, maternity or trauma for 4 months 4 hr/wk
Volunteered in nursing home and cerebral palsy center - 20 hours

College:
Hospital - Emergency room for 2 months for 4 hours a wk
Shadowed an Anesthesiologist for 4 months, 4 hrs/wk

ECs:

2 years - Volunteered with Habitat for Humanity orlando since 2007 for about a total of 400 hrs of volunteering
1.5 year - Co-Founder of Habitat for Humanity UCF 10 hrs/wk
1 year - Founder of Habitat for Higher Learning Tutoring 4 hrs/wk
1 year - Treasurer for Habitat for Humanity UCF as well
1/2 year - Tutor for Anatomy as a TA

Research:

1 year of nucleic acid research - paper is being compiled and written - 12 hrs/wk

Work:

Licensed Real Estate Agent
Sold HUD foreclosures and luxury timeshares for 40+ hrs a week over 3 years.

Letters of Recommendation:
Research PI
Anesthesiologist
Endocrinology/Physiology Professor (She's an MD)
Organic Chem Professor
Former Vice President at the Fortune 200 company I worked at

List of Schools - I'm a florida resident
University of Florida
University of Central Florida
University of South Florida
Florida State University
New York Medical College
Cornell Medical College
Brown University
Columbia University
Yale University
George Washington university
Georgetown university

What else should I consider changing on that list of schools? Is this list realistic considering I'm a Florida Resident?

Thank you!

(AGAIN, I want Mobius to answer this mostly!)

Members don't see this ad.

Your app is very similar to mine. I took Chem 2 at UCF (with Geiger) and got a D in my freshman year. Retook it and got an A. GPA is also ~3.5. I think you should add a lot more low tier schools, like: Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, Temple, Tulane, Virginia Commonwealth

Your chances are pretty good though imo, the only bad thing about your app is your GPA, but the rest compensates for it well enough.

i have a friend who got in last cycle with a 34 on MCATs and a 3.4ish gpa, your ECs look better then his as well, but I would definitely add some of the schools mentioned above

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE:

Here is my new list of schools officially:

University of Florida College of Medicine
University of Central Florida College of Medicine
University of South Florida College of Medicine
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Florida State University College of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Services
University of Vermont College of Medicine
Florida International University College of Medicine

Please tell me what you think!

(THAT MEANS YOU MOBIUS! Someone please PM him for me!)

Hi medschoolnooooo,

Congrats on an MCAT score of 34. Nicely done! I see that your list is rapidly evolving.

Columbia and Brown are both reach schools for you (as were Yale, and Cornell), both with LizzyM scores of 73 (yours being 70). Since I am very conservative, I am glad you are de-emphasizing that category.

UFL (70), UCF (70), USF (68), and FL State (67), and FL International (69) are good for in-state. Why not Miami (70)?

Georgetown (69), GWU (66), UVermont(67) are fine for safeties. I think you need more in the 67-69 range. Consider adding back NYMC and maybe Albany, and think about Jefferson (68), Penn State (68), USCarolina (67), and Rosalind Franklin (68), also maybe more Jesuit schools (which will love all the community service): Creighton (68), SLU (69), and Loyola (68). Muhali's other picks are fine as well.

Now that I'm reviewing your EC details, I'll express a concern about your relatively light clinical experience, 84/116 hours of which occured in HS, with a total of only 7-8 months of total involvement (by my quick count). Please get some additional clinical experience going during this application season that you can report to your schools in update letters periodically. Shadowing two more types of doctor for just 8 hours each would be nice too, though what you have might stand alone at many schools. I hate to nag, but we don't want to do this again next year, do we? Hopefully, you did highlight the high school experiences in your Personal Statement?

Last edited:
Yay! Thanks for replying Mobius, you're basically like Batman to me now.

Anyhow:

High school was a time of experience all across Jersey Shore Medical Center for 4 months. And all of high school, I took classes in Allied Health, Medical terminology, and I have toured and spent time at University of Medicine and Dentistry in New Jersey because of our program.

I went to the Academy of Allied Health and Science for high school in new jersey. Its a medical vocational high school. We traveled to coroner's offices, and morgues. So, it was an intense run down of the medical field in many ways.

I was working most of college to make money and dropped out a few times here and there to make money for me and my family. (my father lost his job sporadically.) This also explains my poor grades in 2005. My grade trend is 3.8, 1.0, 3.87, 4.0. The 1.0 was because I had to leave school to help my parents pay the mortgage.

Either way, I only did 2 months worth of clinical exposure in the ED at Altamonte Springs this year just to make sure becoming a doctor is what I want to do and that my high school experience was not a lie.

I also shadowed that doctor in 2007, but he was the medical director of surgery hill at lakeland so I got to shadow plenty of different doctors while I was there, but it simply confirmed my ambition.

Does this answer the questions about clinical exposure?

It answers my questions. Is this an exerpt from your PS?

Last edited:
To give you a reference:

undergrad gpa(electrical engineer): 3.42
gpa for premed classes(4.0)
mcat: 35Q

1 first author publication, 1 mid author publication in small journals, standard clinical/volunteering/shadowing, decent letters

applied 30 schools, 3 interview offers, 2 interviewed, 1 accepted

What i learned from applying: apply to fewer top schools, even though you have a solid mcat score, so does everyone else. i am from california

I think you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Lol. Batman the Animated Series.

Hmmm, did you apply mostly to in-state schools or top research programs, Mr. Electrical Engineer?

Mobius, it isn't from my PS directly. My PS lightly touches but does explain a lot about my high school past and then it goes into my family's issues and finally closes with my research and how this all culminates to how I want to be a physician.

If you'd like to read my PS, I'd love to show you, Mobius.

i applied to all schools in california, and a range of schools on the east coast. i did apply to a few schools that I knew I had 0 chance of getting into(harvard, yale) but I also applied to alot of schools that I thought would be cake to get into(didnt turn out that way). I think you'll have no problems getting in but it doesn't hurt to be safe

If you'd like to read my PS, I'd love to show you, Mobius.
Thanks, but I'll leave that to SDN's official volunteer Readers. And once you've submitted, there's no point to courting a critique that might sway your confidence.

Thank you so much Mobius for your response and support. You've been a great help through this process. Thank you for all the other responses, igotodavis and muhali, I appreciate the suggestions. My final list I believe is:

My final list is so:

University of Florida College of Medicine

University of Central Florida College of Medicine
University of South Florida College of Medicine
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Florida State University College of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Services
University of Vermont College of Medicine
Florida International University College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin - North Chicago
New York Medical College

I'm complete at 9 schools as of tomorrow, how am I doing this cycle on application return time? 3 schools left...

kind of late to just start being complete, but i think you will be fine. I have the same GPA with a slightly higher science and i also have a 33 mcat.... i have 5 interviews so far and i am feeling a couple more who knows!