3.49 Psychology major, Biology minor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimmerboyzrg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a junior at a private university in Wisconsin. I'm a Psychology major and I plan on picking up a Bio minor throughout the next three semesters. I will probably graduate in four years, but because I only recently decided that I wanted to go to med school I won't have met all of the prerequisites until the end of my senior year, so I will be hoping to start med school in the fall of 2015. I've got a lot of questions, and I would really appreciate anyone taking the time to answer any that they have any answers for.

My school uses an A, AB, B, BC, etc. grading system, and with that I have a 3.4. How would that be calculated using the AMCAS and AACOMAS grading scales? I got B's in both semesters of Gen Chem (wish I'd cared a little more then, I was a political science major at the time), and will likely get an A in Bio 1, so science gpa would be a 3.3 at the moment. I've gotten almost exclusively AB's, with a few A's and a few B's in everything else. I have a history of testing fairly well when it comes to standardized tests (2210 SAT), so I am hoping that I will be able to replicate that sort of performance on the MCAT.

I'm pretty much locked in to getting an 83% in one of my psych courses this semester, which would be a BC. I've never gotten anything related to a C before. Should I retake that class?

I have some pretty good research in a Neuro lab (lots of neuropsych tests and different types of imaging), and am hoping to have some work published this summer. I also run for my school's cross country/track and field teams. Does anyone know how athletics are viewed during the application process?

In terms of other EC's, how much do schools usually want to see? Is there a certain way they want you to do shadowing and volunteer service? I have some experience volunteering in a nursing home, and am in the process of getting cleared to volunteer at a hospice center. How do these forms of volunteering look on an application?

I'm planning on applying to as many MD programs as I can, but would really like to stay in Wisconsin. Does anyone know anything about acceptance stats to the Medical College of Wisconsin?

I realize these are a lot of questions, and I would really appreciate any answers to any of them. Thanks a lot guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen them before, but they're not that common. I think a BC will be considered a B-.

My school uses an A, AB, B, BC, etc. grading system, and with that I have a 3.4. How would that be calculated using the AMCAS and AACOMAS grading scales?

No. that's just one class. If an 83 is a BC, then the grade scale might be more like a B+.

I'm pretty much locked in to getting an 83% in one of my psych courses this semester, which would be a BC. I've never gotten anything related to a C before. Should I retake that class?

We do not weigh athletics at all in our decision making process.

I have some pretty good research in a Neuro lab (lots of neuropsych tests and different types of imaging), and am hoping to have some work published this summer. I also run for my school's cross country/track and field teams. Does anyone know how athletics are viewed during the application process?

Would you buy a new car without test-driving it? Buy a new suit without trying it on??
You need to show us that you want to spend the next 40-50 years around sick and injured people, AND that you know what you're getting into. So, you should have a minimum of 100 hours hospital or patient-contact related volunteer experience, AND some doctor shadowing, to see what a real doctor's' life is like. Showing leadership and altruism are always good.

In terms of other EC's, how much do schools usually want to see? Is there a certain way they want you to do shadowing and volunteer service? I have some experience volunteering in a nursing home, and am in the process of getting cleared to volunteer at a hospice center. How do these forms of volunteering look on an application?

A little research goes a long way.

I'm planning on applying to as many MD programs as I can, but would really like to stay in Wisconsin. Does anyone know anything about acceptance stats to the Medical College of Wisconsin?