3.4c/3.3s/30 MCAT - TX Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hornstudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an upward trend in my grades - upper division science courses are much better than lower.

Originally from an educationally and medically underserved area.

Business major at a large state school.

Starting research in a cardiovascular lab this fall (total of 1 year experience before applying)
Volunteered at a clinic with 90% uninsured patients (150 hours total).
170 shadowing hours (neurosurgery - clinic only, otolaryngology/plastic surgery)
Medical mission trip in Central America (1 week long)
Write for a pre-med magazine (2 articles written)
Starting an organization on campus to send students on medical mission trips
Senior preceptor for organization that sets up study groups for difficult courses.

I am applying to all Texas schools for sure (still don't know about DO). Been thinking about some out of state schools, but not sure which ones would be realistic.

What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not great in Texas unless you are URM. I had a 31mcat and 3.6 gpa (4.0 over last 5 semesters) and matched to TCOM. With their match record (comparable to the rest of the Texas schools) and Texas tuition, it would be a little crazy not to send in your app with those stats. You are at least borderline for TCOM. You may want to spend the rest of the year fixing the GPA in case you don't match.

You may have seen this already, but it provides more info than most people here could give.

https://www.tmdsas.com/Final Statistics Report- EY13 - Medical.pdf