3.4c 3.3s 32MCAT NV resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MooCowJoe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just gradated with a BS in bio. I've been working since 16. Clinical experience includes hospital volunteering (6 months) and shadowing two different physicians (1.5 months each four days a week). My volunteering includes alternative spring break, boys and girls club, ESL tutoring, tutoring at the school tutoring center, and an after school elementary tutoring program. Also i've been doing research for about 8 months.

Just wanted to know what my chances are. MD? DO?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I just gradated with a BS in bio. I've been working since 16. Clinical experience includes hospital volunteering (6 months) and shadowing two different physicians (1.5 months each four days a week). My volunteering includes alternative spring break, boys and girls club, ESL tutoring, tutoring at the school tutoring center, and an after school elementary tutoring program. Also i've been doing research for about 8 months.

Thanks in advance.

Apply to both. Your stats absolutely do not disqualify you from being competitive at MD schools. I have much lower stats than you (and I'm also a NV resident) and I was able to pull off both MD and DO. PM for more details

I agree. From what ive seen schools tend to value mcat more then gpa anyways. I dont think your gpa is at the point of being too low for MD; you arent that far off.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT is great, but GPA is a tad on the low side for MD schools. Suggest trying only the bottom tier of those, and perhaps your state schools, but you're fine for any of the DO schools.

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Hey thanks for the support guys. I've always just felt like my app would be fine except my GPA is always weighing me down.

I agree with the other posters. I had a cgpa worse than your's and still got into a MD school this time around. My only advice is maybe take a year or two off and work. Putting some time between your graduation date and your application date definitely helps. You could also take like extension or CC classes in the mean time to stay current.

In-state NV acceptance is entirely possible. OOS would be harder unless there is some steep upward trend.

For DO, you shouldn't have a problem.

Agreed, especially if you have an upward grade trend or an isolated cause for the lower GPAs.

Thanks for all the wisdom guys. Would you guys consider this an upward trend? It kinda goes up and down and up again lol..

• 2007 Fall: 3.18
• 2008 Spring: 2.76 (Received a D in Prin of Mod Biology I)
• 2008 Summer: 3.00
• 2008 Fall: 3.80 Cumulative (3.65 at University (8 Credits)/ 4.00 at Community College (6 credits))
• 2009 Spring: 3.66 (Repeated Prin of Mod Biology I with an A)
• 2009 Summer: 3.65
• 2009 Fall: 3.65
• 2010 Spring: 3.31
• 2010 Summer: 3.00
• 2010 Fall: 3.57
• 2011 Spring: 3.57
• 2011 Fall: 4.00

Your AMCAS application will display your GPAs, both cGPA and BCPM, year-by-year, which tends to smooth out the bumps. What year the grades fall under depends on the credit hours earned.

Screen shot of AMCAS Verified Grade Point Averages summary: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11226358

Academic Year and Term
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]These fields show the academic year and term during which you took the course. The AMCAS year begins with summer and ends with spring. Courses taken in the summer should be entered with the next academic year, even if your institution considers them in the previous year. For example, if you took a course in the first summer session of 2009, you should enter it as 2009–2010 academic year, even if your school considers it in the 2008–2009 academic year. .
.Year in School
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]The guidelines below will help you determine your Year in School for AMCAS. Note that AMCAS is not responsible for any delays in processing and/or incorrect GPA calculations that might result from incorrect Year in School assignments. If the Year in School selected greatly exceeds the ranges specified below, AMCAS may reassign statuses. .
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Each undergraduate status should consist of approximately 27-35 semester hours. Applicants with undergraduate, .
.[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]full-time, continuous ..[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]enrollment at an institution should usually change their Year in School after every 2 semesters, 3-4 quarters, or 2-3 trimesters. .
.[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Applicants who have been enrolled part-time, or who have had interrupted attendance, should use these ranges to determine their appropriate status for each term: ..High School (HS)
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]College-level course work taken while in high school ..
Freshman (FR)
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]0-32 semester hours ..
Sophomore (SO)
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]31-64 semester hours ..
Junior (JR)
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]61-96 semester hours ..
Senior (SR)
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]91 or more semester hours ..

The following rules will help you determine the appropriate AMCAS Year in School for all of your course work (including foreign course work):
Do not assign more than one status to an academic term.
Assign High School (HS) status to college-level courses taken while you were in high school, regardless of the physical location of the college-level course. This does not include AP, Exempt, or CLEP credit.
Assign Freshman (FR) status to Advanced Placement, Exempt, or CLEP credit awarded when you first entered college.
Once your undergraduate Year in School (FR, SO, JR, SR) has advanced (e.g., FR to SO), do not assign the previous status (e.g., FR) to course work completed after this point.
Junior/Community College courses (e.g., associate degree course work) should usually be listed as FR or SO if you took them before you attended a four-year institution. For attendance longer than two years at the same school refer back to the Year in School section.
Courses for a Bachelor's degree earned in three years should be assigned statuses of Freshman (FR), Sophomore (SO), and Senior (SR).
Courses for a Bachelor's degree earned in more than four years should be assigned statuses of Freshman (FR), Sophomore (SO), Junior (JR), Senior (SR), Senior (SR), etc.

Assign Post Baccalaureate (PB) status to any undergraduate level course work you enrolled in:
[FONT=Courier New,Courier New][FONT=Courier New,Courier New]o ..After receipt of your initial BA/BS degree.
[FONT=Courier New,Courier New][FONT=Courier New,Courier New]o ..While enrolled in a graduate program, if course work is not applied to a graduate degree.
Assign Graduate (GR) status to any professional or graduate-level course work that is not applied to an undergraduate degree.
Do [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]not ..assign Graduate (GR) status to any professional or graduate-level course work applied to an undergraduate degree.
AMCAS 2012 Instruction Manual [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]© 2011 AAMC. This work may be reproduced and redistributed, in whole or in part, without alteration and without prior written permission, for personal, non-commercial use by prospective medical school applicants and their advisors. Any other use requires prior permission (contact [email protected]). ..38

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

I don't know what circumstances surround your GPA, but if money's not an object, you may want to consider an SMP. You have good ECs and your MCAT is certainly great, so a solid SMP GPA is probably enough to almost assure you of some M.D. acceptances. Without that, I think you still have a shot at lower tier and IS M.D. programs. As others have said, you should have no trouble with DO.

Edit: Just saw your later post on your term GPAs. If you have at least some explanation for the "valleys", I'd say an SMP is probably unnecessary.