3.4cGPA 3.08sGPA still need to take MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosie23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior at gwu. I transferred from George mason after freshman year and did pretty well there--around a 3.5 gpa. At that time my dad was sick and i had to take him to NIH for his mri scans and to the doctors for his chemo appts so i couldve done better. However come sophomore year first semester at gwu my dad passed away after a 3.5 year struggle with brain cancer. I commuted to mason and commute to gwu for fear of my dads terminal illness. i had to withdraw from organic chem that semester but still it has been a blow to my gpa. I had to come home everyday trying to study organic chem with my dad lying on his bed in a semi comatose state. It was dreadful. so fast forward about about 1.5 year later I work 30 hours per week at prince william hospital ER as a scribe. I still commute. So not only do I have a long commute from home to school but from home to work. I have around a 2.9 sGPA and 3.2 cGPA. Dr. Miller, I'm a hard worker. I just had unfortunate life experiences that coincided with a busy work schedule and one of the hardest premed classes. I was valedictorian at my high school and graduated with a 4.2. As I work more and more in the ER the more I know that I really want to be a doctor. However I feel like I will not be able to get in with a low gpa. I will be taking my mcat in the spring. So that is my life story. My experiences in the ER and with my dad have really made me stronger and solidified my dream of becoming a doctor.

My BCPM will hopefully be a 3.08 after senior year. 3.45 overall gpa.

what should I do? I am trying to apply to a post bacc program but I was wondering if there was still any chance with a high MCAT score that I can get in?

I am South Asian.

cleardot.gif

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry about your loss. You can explain on your application that your dad passed away and that it contributed to your poor academic performance. If you want you can also look into doing an smp. Since you're in the DC area, the program at Georgetown could be a good option. A high MCAT score (mid-30s or higher) would definitely help.

Do you think I will have to take the postbacc or should I apply? I'm hoping to get at least a 37 on the mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for your loss.

Sounds like DO is the route, but I have no experience with DO other than what's said on SDN. I think MD is going to be very difficult though.

Very sorry about your loss but an MCAT of 45 won't rescue your app for MD schools.
Your easiest path will be to re-take all F/D/C grade science coursework and apply to DO programs.

AACOMAS's grade replacement policy does wonders for the GPA. You can do this in a post-bac, either an organized one, or a DIY.

OR: enroll in a SMP given by a medical school. These programs are your backdoor into medical school.

Then ace the MCAT. There ARE MD schools that reward reinvention.

I am a senior at gwu. I transferred from George mason after freshman year and did pretty well there--around a 3.5 gpa. At that time my dad was sick and i had to take him to NIH for his mri scans and to the doctors for his chemo appts so i couldve done better. However come sophomore year first semester at gwu my dad passed away after a 3.5 year struggle with brain cancer. I commuted to mason and commute to gwu for fear of my dads terminal illness. i had to withdraw from organic chem that semester but still it has been a blow to my gpa. I had to come home everyday trying to study organic chem with my dad lying on his bed in a semi comatose state. It was dreadful. so fast forward about about 1.5 year later I work 30 hours per week at prince william hospital ER as a scribe. I still commute. So not only do I have a long commute from home to school but from home to work. I have around a 2.9 sGPA and 3.2 cGPA. Dr. Miller, I'm a hard worker. I just had unfortunate life experiences that coincided with a busy work schedule and one of the hardest premed classes. I was valedictorian at my high school and graduated with a 4.2. As I work more and more in the ER the more I know that I really want to be a doctor. However I feel like I will not be able to get in with a low gpa. I will be taking my mcat in the spring. So that is my life story. My experiences in the ER and with my dad have really made me stronger and solidified my dream of becoming a doctor.

My BCPM will hopefully be a 3.08 after senior year. 3.45 overall gpa.

what should I do? I am trying to apply to a post bacc program but I was wondering if there was still any chance with a high MCAT score that I can get in?

I am South Asian.

cleardot.gif