3.4cGPA 3.5sGPA 21 MCAT

Blackxp

7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2011
  1. Medical Student
    Just got my first MCAT scores back.

PS/VR/BS - 08/05/08 - 21 :(

I have over 100 hours shadowing 3 doctors. 1 MD and 2 DOs. ER and OR with OB/GYN

I'm applying strictly DO.

Any idea on my chances?

ECs: I worked for 2 years as a patient support assistant for two people in wheelchairs. I handled their medical equipment and meds and stuff. I have been a teacher's assistant for 4 months while in school full time.

I have 4 LORs and they're very strong.

I'm a Spanish major at my University.

I have no idea what happened with my verbal score. I'm not devastated because it could be worse, but I am very, very disappointed.

I don't have time to study full time with school coming soon so I'd be able to retake in March of 2014 - which is way too late for this cycle.

All opinions welcome.

Unfortunately your MCAT is well below the average needed for DO schools. There is always a shot, but be wary that applying can cost alot and sometimes being a re-applicant can hurt you unless you improve significantly. If you really want to apply, then I would apply to perhaps the newer schools or lowest tier schools (I am not too sure how each of the osteopathic schools rank so I do not have any names to throw out there).

Your best choice though is to focus on retaking that MCAT. Your GPA is fine. If you can come back with a 26 or 27 or even higher then you are set for an excellent application cycle next year.

user3

7+ Year Member
    Jul 10, 2010
    1. Medical Student
      LIBERTY!!! (once it starts taking apps)
      LMU
      VCOM-VC
      VCOM-CC
      WVSOM
      ACOM
      MUCOM
      CUSOM
      SOMA
      KCOM
      COMP-NW
      KYCOM
      PNWU
      PCOM-GA
      Touro-Middletown (must apply through Touro-NY)

About the Ads

NavyDoc23

7+ Year Member
      Jun 11, 2013
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        If I were you, I would sit out this cycle. Your MCAT is just too low. The average matriculant MCAT for the 2011 entering class was 26.5. I'm not saying your chances are zero, just saying it will be very very hard for you to get in this cycle. I would retake the MCAT, boost your ECs (get some research under your belt!), and apply next year. Heck, if you do really well on your MCAT you could apply MD next year.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
        10+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        Jun 11, 2010
        Somewhere west of St. Louis
        1. Non-Student
          Are you ESL? That 5VR pretty much kills your chances at all except for a few schools (not mine).

Suggest re-taking MCAT and fixing that VR deficit first.

Just got my first MCAT scores back.

PS/VR/BS - 08/05/08 - 21 :(

I have over 100 hours shadowing 3 doctors. 1 MD and 2 DOs. ER and OR with OB/GYN

I'm applying strictly DO.

Any idea on my chances?

ECs: I worked for 2 years as a patient support assistant for two people in wheelchairs. I handled their medical equipment and meds and stuff. I have been a teacher's assistant for 4 months while in school full time.

I have 4 LORs and they're very strong.

I'm a Spanish major at my University.

I have no idea what happened with my verbal score. I'm not devastated because it could be worse, but I am very, very disappointed.

I don't have time to study full time with school coming soon so I'd be able to retake in March of 2014 - which is way too late for this cycle.

All opinions welcome.

edgerock24

7+ Year Member
          Jul 29, 2012
          1. Medical Student
            Why'd ya take the MCAT without being 100% prepared for it?!

Youll be fine once that VR score goes up a few pts. Keep studying and don't take it until you're hitting high scores on at least 2-3 practice tests. There is nothing wrong with waiting.

CooIBreeze

Jul 8, 2013
            1. Pre-Medical
              No, I'm not ESL. I was a little pushed for time and had to guess on 6 questions. VR has always been my highest when doing practice exams. Just a fluke. I hope the schools can see past it.

The only way schools will see past the 5 in VR is if you retake the MCAT and pull that score up. Keep in mind that adcoms will not know that your 5 was a "fluke"; therefore, that bit of information is irrelevant, unless you can back it up with proof. Just prepare yourself a little better, relax, and knock the next MCAT out of the park. Good luck! :thumbup:

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.