MD 3.4cGPA 3.5sGPA 30 MCAT ... SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgm92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

So yeah, low GPA, this is due to two D's my very first semester of community college. One in Calc 1 (which I retook and earned an A) and one in an english class (which I retook and earned a B). I have since transferred to a UC and am going to graduate with just under a 3.6 .

As for the mcat, I scored an even 30 (10PS/10VR/10BS).

EC's:

Well over 1000 hrs of research under a renowned PI in the medical school at my university, one poster presentation resulting and possibly a publication soon. Not as first author, but a publication nonetheless. If I don't do an SMP I will probably work here while applying.

~200 hrs clinical volunteering
~40 hrs shadowing various specialties (cardiology, gen surg, etc.)
~60 hrs community service at homeless shelters

Miscellaneous EC's:

Piano teacher for two years now
University Choir

Great LOR's (including one from my PI which should hold a lot of weight... right?).

Some other background:

I started off as a music major, and received A's in virtually all the classes (theory, performance, etc. Amounts to about 40 semester units or so.) Oh, I'm a California resident, and non-URM.

So my question is: Will an SMP significantly strengthen my application? Will I be competitive if I choose to not complete one? Do I have a shot at MD schools given the large upward trend in my grades?

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: