Apr 12, 2010
Status
hey guys,

I have around a 3.5 cumulative and science gpa. MCAT is 8V, 10PS, 11BS. I think I can do a little better if i retake. EC's are decent, LORs good but nothing spectacular. should i retake or just go ahead and apply early this cycle?

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
It would be nice to know your BCPM GPA too (or science GPA) and home state.

If you're applying to DO med schools, you're fine, with a decent sGPA.

If you're aiming primarily for MD schools, you might be fine at certain state schools, or even others if your Experiences are particularly strong or you have other modifying factors we don't know about. But for general screening purposes, with both numbers being below the median of those accepted, you'd improve your odds with an MCAT score of 32+.

Mar 5, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
hey guys,

I have around a 3.5 cumulative and science gpa. MCAT is 8V, 10PS, 11BS. I think I can do a little better if i retake. EC's are decent, LORs good but nothing spectacular. should i retake or just go ahead and apply early this cycle?
Honestly, it just depends. What are your target schools? It really depends on what kinda programs you're applying to. You can go ahead and try your luck this cycle. What's the worse that can happen? I know of someone who got in last year with a 3.4 and 27 to a U.S med school MD program. Obviously, your ECs and LoR's matter as well as your PS.

turkaglew

7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2009
Status
Medical Student
FWIW I have a 29, very similar breakdown as you and a 3.76/3.54, decent ECs and from what I was told at interviews, great LORs. I have 2 waitlists and 0 acceptances.

benicar

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2008
Status
I would not retake and work on other areas of your application, assuming your science and non-science gpa's are > 3.5. The quality of the entire application makes a tremendous difference.

My stats were not exceptional, a 29 mcat, 3.5 overall GPA and 3.6 sGPA. However, I am certain my extracurricular experiences set my application apart; extensive clinical work experience, multiple peer-reviewed publications, non-profit board work, long-term volunteer (both medical and non-medical) and very strong LOR.

By mid August I had 8 interview invites (6 MD and 2 DO) and by Oct 15 had 4 allo and 2 DO acceptances, at which point I withdrew from all other schools. Your score does not have to be the limiting factor in this process.

May 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I would not retake and work on other areas of your application, assuming your science and non-science gpa's are > 3.5. The quality of the entire application makes a tremendous difference.

My stats were not exceptional, a 29 mcat, 3.5 overall GPA and 3.6 sGPA. However, I am certain my extracurricular experiences set my application apart; extensive clinical work experience, multiple peer-reviewed publications, non-profit board work, long-term volunteer (both medical and non-medical) and very strong LOR.

By mid August I had 8 interview invites (6 MD and 2 DO) and by Oct 15 had 4 allo and 2 DO acceptances, at which point I withdrew from all other schools. Your score does not have to be the limiting factor in this process.
[british accent] well done old-boy