3.5/3.4 GPA & 501 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDoomMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
***This post is for my friend. He has been trying to make a SDN account but keeps on getting his account denied (don't know why)***
cGPA: 3.55
sGPA 3.40
MCAT: 501 (125/127/123/126)
Currently taking post bacc courses to raise sGPA (2 years of upward trend)
Residence: NY
Ethnicity: South Asian American (ORM I guess)
School: Public 4 year College
Looking to apply to DO schools and wondering if an MCAT retake would be a good idea.
ECs: 100 hours of shadowing (MDs only), 150 hours at soup kitchen and red cross, 250 ER patient contact volunteering & 300 hours of both clinical and data base research
Good letters from a physician, science professors and a non-science professor.
DO school list:
NYITCOM (Long Island)
NYITCOM (Arkansas)
PCOM (Philly)
PCOM (GA)
PCOM (South GA)
LECOM (Elmira)
LECOM (Eerie)
LECOM (Greensburg)
LECOM (Florida)
Touro (Harlem)
Touro (Middletown)
UNECOM
DMU
Marian
VCOM (Virginia)
VCOM (Carolina)
VCOM (Alabama)
VCOM (LA)
ARCOM
ACOM
RowanSOM
CUSOM
NSU
MSUCOM
CCOM (Might be a reach IDK)
AZCOM (Might be a reach IDK)
Any other DO schools that should be considered ? How much would a 123 in the BB section hurt ? Is NYITCOM viable with a 501 MCAT ? Would a retake of 505+ help chances at low tier and state MD schools ? Any help would be appreciated @Goro @Faha

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend

NYITCOM (Long Island)
NYITCOM (Arkansas)
PCOM (Philly)
PCOM (GA)
PCOM (South GA)
LECOM (Elmira)
LECOM (Eerie)
LECOM (Greensburg)
LECOM (Florida)
UNECOM
DMU
Marian
VCOM (Virginia)
VCOM (Carolina)
VCOM (Alabama)
VCOM (LA)
ARCOM
ACOM
CUSOM

Any other DO schools that should be considered ?

WVSOM
KYCOM
WCU

How much would a 123 in the BB section hurt ?

It's not good

Is NYITCOM viable with a 501 MCAT ?

Maybe

Would a retake of 505+ help chances at low tier and state MD schools ?

Yes

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend

NYITCOM (Long Island)
NYITCOM (Arkansas)
PCOM (Philly)
PCOM (GA)
PCOM (South GA)
LECOM (Elmira)
LECOM (Eerie)
LECOM (Greensburg)
LECOM (Florida)
UNECOM
DMU
Marian
VCOM (Virginia)
VCOM (Carolina)
VCOM (Alabama)
VCOM (LA)
ARCOM
ACOM
CUSOM

Any other DO schools that should be considered ?

WVSOM
KYCOM
WCU

How much would a 123 in the BB section hurt ?

It's not good

Is NYITCOM viable with a 501 MCAT ?

Maybe

Would a retake of 505+ help chances at low tier and state MD schools ?

Yes
Thanks Goro ! Overall are the DO school chances alright ? I think some of them screen out sub 125 section scorers, so maybe a retake would be in order ? Also, do you think that Touro-NY is not worth applying to since the MCAT is a 501 ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Goro ! Overall are the DO school chances alright ? I think some of them screen out sub 125 section scorers, so maybe a retake would be in order ? Also, do you think that Touro-NY is not worth applying to since the MCAT is a 501 ?
The Touros have the highest MCAT medians, so yes, skip Touro-NY and -M. You have a broad app list and should get some love.

Reactions: 1 users
The Touros have the highest MCAT medians, so yes, skip Touro-NY and -M. You have a broad app list and should get some love.
Got it, thanks. I was under the impression that only cali and nevada touros had high mcat medians. Thought the NY ones had mcats around 504

Hey @Faha any thoughts ? It Would be appreciated !
If your friend retakes the MCAT and scores 505+ then they are competitive for all DO schools. With the current 501 I suggest these schools from your list:
NYITCOM (Arkansas)
PCOM (Philly)
PCOM (GA)
PCOM (South GA)
LECOM (Elmira)
LECOM (Eerie)
LECOM (Greensburg)
LECOM (Florida)
UNECOM
Marian
VCOM (Virginia)
VCOM (Carolina)
VCOM (Alabama)
VCOM (LA)
ARCOM
ACOM
CUSOM
NSU
Any of these schools could be added:
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
WCU-COM
ATSU-SOMA

If your friend retakes the MCAT and scores 505+ then they are competitive for all DO schools. With the current 501 I suggest these schools from your list:
NYITCOM (Arkansas)
PCOM (Philly)
PCOM (GA)
PCOM (South GA)
LECOM (Elmira)
LECOM (Eerie)
LECOM (Greensburg)
LECOM (Florida)
UNECOM
Marian
VCOM (Virginia)
VCOM (Carolina)
VCOM (Alabama)
VCOM (LA)
ARCOM
ACOM
CUSOM
NSU
Any of these schools could be added:
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
WCU-COM
ATSU-SOMA
Thanks Faha ! Is NYIT NY still viable since he is a NY resident ? Also would 505 allow him to also be viable for probably some state/low tier MD schools ?

Thanks Faha ! Is NYIT NY still viable since he is a NY resident ? Also would 505 allow him to also be viable for probably some state/low tier MD schools ?
A 508 puts an applicant in the 50% chance for a MD acceptance range. They can apply to NYITCOM but do not be too hopeful.

A 508 puts an applicant in the 50% chance for a MD acceptance range. They can apply to NYITCOM but do not be too hopeful.
Thanks ! Would MD schools average MCAT scores though ? Like if he got a 508 or something, wouldn't they do (508 + 501) / 2 ?

Last edited:
Some schools do average scores.
Sorry one last question @Faha : you said a 508 mcat would put him at the 50% range for MD schools. On the GPA MCAT grid it says that range is 37%. Are you saying 50% because of the 2 year upward trend ?

Sorry one last question @Faha : you said a 508 mcat would put him at the 50% range for MD schools. On the GPA MCAT grid it says that range is 37%. Are you saying 50% because of the 2 year upward trend ?
I am assuming that their cGPA will be a little higher with the post bacc courses.