3.5, 515 MCAT (124 CARS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schwann Lake

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I just got my MCAT score, which was a retake of a 29 (10/9/10). I got a 515 (130, 124, 130, 131).

My gpa is 3.51c/3.4s. Graduated in May. Currently enrolled in an SMP. Applying this cycle.

ECs and letters are good.

I'm from Delaware, so my "state" school is Jefferson.

I don't think I should retake it given my other sections, but what will a 124 in CARS do to me? Is MD even worth a shot? Here is my school list. I already completed secondaries for all of these places, so really I'm just wondering if I should add any other schools or if I should assume MD is not longer plausible, and apply DO.

Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Georgetown
GW
Dartmouth
Brown
Penn State
TCMC
Virginia Tech
Hofstra
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Wake Forest
Tufts
BU

Members don't see this ad.

Brown is heavily biased to its own grads & PLME submatriculants. Dartmouth is heavily non-trad (~85% for both) don't expect much from them. BU is a reach, but I'm sure you knew that already.

This late in the cycle I'd just stand pat but if you end up needing a reapp, cut Brown, Dartmouth, and BU, and add Loyola, Rush, Rosy Franklin, Albany, EVMS, and VCU for maximum chances.

I suggest the following:

Temple

Jefferson

Drexel

Quinnipiac

WVU

Rosy Franklin

MCW

SLU

Creighton

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

NYMC

VCU

U VM

EVMS

Oakland-B

Western MI

Rush

Any DO school, starting with PCOM, LECOM and VCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 124 is roughly equivalent to a 7-8. The verbal decline will hurt, but look carefully at the school's 10th percentile section scores as well as schools that take the highest/recent MCAT scores (since a 515 is roughly a 33-34). You should be fine at these schools.

You definitely don't need an SMP( it won't help you this cycle and your GPA isn't low enough for one although if you're already in one it is what it is), what you need is a solid list. If you are worried about getting into ANY MD school, Dartmouth and Brown aren't the types of schools to focus on. Not sure I'd recommend Boston U and Hofstra with the below average GPA and a 29 on your previous record. The 124 comes out to a 7/8(it really depends on school and how they interpret it) which hurts but you might still have luck with a thorough list.

The rest of your list is fine. You're odds will be best with the Philly Triplets. If you're doing an SMP you have to ask yourself this; say you don't get into any MDs this cycle but ace your SMP and have a DO acceptance, would you take the DO or give the MDs another crack at it next cycle? If the answer is you wouldn't take the DO acceptance, don't apply DO. Follow Goro's list closely.

Thanks @md-2020 @Goro @Lawper and @GrapesofRath for your responses, definitely a huge help. I'm glad my odds are best at the Philly triplets, because I ideally would like to be in Philly for medical school. Hopefully I get some love.

I added Brown and Dartmouth before based on the MSAR, but I definitely have more clarity now on which schools are worth while. I will take another run through of the MSAR and try my best this cycle. My score isn't going to change, so I will just do my hardest to excel in my program and keep a positive attitude. I will try MD this cycle, then definitely apply DO next cycle if I do not get in this one. I will take a look at Goro's list and add the schools that are a good fit for me.

@gyngyn Do you have any advice?

I'd also like to add that I would prefer to be on the east coast because of family. However, if that only provides a limited number of possibilities I will absolutely expand my list.

@gyngyn Do you have any advice?

I'd also like to add that I would prefer to be on the east coast because of family. However, if that only provides a limited number of possibilities I will absolutely expand my list.

You should be successful remaining in the east coast. In fact, west coast is too competitive! The midwest is a reasonable alternative though, but as mentioned, you should have some luck with the Philly schools.

Reactions: 1 user