3.5 c/s gpa, 515 mcat, planning on gap year (s)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mickcoop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN -

I am about to start my senior year at a top liberal arts school in the California IE. I took the MCAT this past spring and I decent, though not sure if it is enough to bolster my application enough to get me into any CA school. As such, I have decided to take a gap year or two to strengthen my application enough to get in to a CA school the first time around. My question is - what are my chances with my current application/EC's/stats? Ideally I'd like a shot at UCSD or USC

As stated, I will have about a 3.5 c/s gpa upon graduation this coming year, majoring in molecular biology and computer science
- 515 MCAT
- 1 year of being an Ochem tutor (about 6 hours a week)
- 2 years of being an Ochem lab TA (about 8 hours a week)
- two years of research at my school, no pubs, presented poster at national ACS convention
- two week medical mission trip to third world country
- CA resident
- founded/presided over a club teaching simple CS concepts to underserved, special needs elementary school students in the area
- currently in an internship in the DC area, working for a DoD lab doing drug development (medical ?) research, two potential pubs in the pipeline
- URM hispanic, absolutely planning on serving my community as a physician
- volunteering for ~4 hours a week at a nearby hospital primarily serving the hispanic community

EDIT: forgot to mention the 3.5 is a result of a strong upward trend due to some health issues early on in school

Members don't see this ad.

you can apply now with those ECs to be honest.

What kind of Hispanic(not all are URMs) and do you speak Spanish. Those are questions Keck and UCSD will care about