3.5 cgpa 3.4 sgpa 29 MCAT Top Tier D.O??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shakes90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a weird Freshman year with a C+ in a bio class
then a very strong upward trend my second year (all My Pre-reqs are A's), and then a downward trend (B's) in my upper level science classes, and this is because I let the MCAT completely break me.

EC's: 3 years of Volunteering at hospital
1 year of volunteering as Sexual Harassment/Domestic Violence Hotline
2 years working as Student Instruction Leader
Currently working to implement a nonprofit organization chapter in my school
1 year of Shadowing
2 Months so far working as receptionist at the ER (current)

My 29 MCAT breakdown: 10B 10V 9B

I want to get into higher level D.O schools because I'd like to land an MD residency
is this possible???
I'm Also a Michigan Resident

Also When writing my personal statement, should I talk about how I learned through failure with the MCAT? or should I not mention it?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you failed in the MCAT. Being from Michigan, I can see MSU being very possible.

If your PS/secondaries don't make you sound like a gigantic tool, and you apply June 1st, I would say you have a very good shot with getting into one of the best DO schools and probably a really good shot at MSU.

And don't mention the MCAT. It is about 2.5 points higher than the average DO matriculant average so addressing the MCAT failure is probably not a good idea and will likely result in rejection. Given the context, it would come across as pretty douche.

Members don't see this ad :)
You look like a good applicant for many institutions.

I wouldn't consider a 29 a failure. Being 1 or 2 points below your school's average isn't absolutely terrible, by definition an average represents the culmination in data points above and below the represented number. (Unless of course all the numbers are the same, which is statistically unlikely.)

The key is to not be too below the average, which a 29 is certainly not.

MSU has a very reputable DO program. I think a 29 would be good enough to consider you for an interview, plus your stats aren't that bad either for DO.

Oh...let me clarify, my MCAT story is a nightmare!

I started the whole MCAT process the end of my sophmore year, and I let stupid scores like my first diagnostic (15) break my confidence, and that fact that I was surrounded by people who were complaining about 37's didn't really help.

I could study over material for weeks, but would blank at every test the whole summer. I took the test once in January my junior year and didn't score, I continued to study, allowed my grades to drop again and took it again the summer before my senior year got a 26, I was devastated. I decided not to apply and retake the MCAT, my gpa dropped, but I finally just gathered some confidence, since i've been going at it for 2 YEARS, and I managed a 29. I'M very thankful for it. Unfortunately, I'm burned out, but I've learned a lot from my experience, I've learned how to deal with failure and how to move on from it.

So, should I include that in my PS??

and thank you so much for the words of confidence, DMU is my dream school, so fingers crossed!

How did you get in on the sexual harassment/domestic abuse hotline?

Being from Michigan, I think you have a decent shot at your in state schools.

Last edited:
MY G.P.A has lowered further I think, I think I now have a 3.4 cumalative and 3.3 science. I recieved a C+ in one of my science classes. Should I retake this class or should I just apply early which would be more beneficial?

I got into the hotline through an organization in my university, it was start-up and we were trained for two weeks, then chosen to work with the organization. Unfortunately, the university considered us a liability rather than a good thing and shut us down, but it was a good year.

I'm not sure my state schools will like C+, but we'll see :/