This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

C-T-M

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a 22 y/o Virginia resident and want to know my chances at medical school acceptances.

I had a bit of bumpy start to my undergrad performance, but have a strong upward trend starting my junior year, receiving high GPAs. When I took up my hospital jobs, I worked full time, while studying full-time each semester. It was not until after I started working, did I see my upward trend in my grades. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, I just wanted to see the weight my currents stats have on my chances for acceptance. Looking at MD and DO.

Stats:
3.5 cGPA
3.43 sGPA
4000+ Shared Hours as a Med/Surg Clinical Tech and ER Tech @ INOVA Fairfax (Trauma 1)
EMT Cert
Trauma Acute Care Surgery Externship for 2 weeks
MCAT Planned
100 hours shadowing MD/PA
Some non-clinical volunteering
Plan on Scribing as well
No Research yet :(

Looking at Primarily:
EVMS
Virginia Tech
UVA
VCU
LSU
Tulane
Drexel
Texas A&M
Baylor
UT San Antonio

Members don't see this ad.

Don't apply to Virginia Tech if you have no research at all

Your app looks similar to mine, and I had zero MD luck this year - one waitlist, but I doubt I'm getting off of it. What MD programs don't seem to like is one-dimensional applicants.

First off, you don't need to scribe with your healthcare experience plus shadowing. That falls under the clinical dimension and you have that more than covered.

What you need to do is get some research and more than just some community service experience. I applied with neither, and I think the community service especially is a big part of why I haven't had any luck. In fact, my state school said to my face during my interview that the lack of community service is what killed my application because they had a primary care and service-focused mission and I had not proved that I fit their mission.

That being said, I ended up with 8 DO IIs, attended three interviews, and got three acceptances. DO schools seem to like healthcare workers, so assuming you don't bomb the MCAT, you'll be non-competitive for MD with your current ECs (just based on my experiences) but competitive for DO.

Good luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.