3.5 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, 31 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmcspe2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,
I was hoping I could get some advice to see where I stand. I am in a Master's program right now. I have a cGPA of 3.5 and a sGPA of a 3.6. I have a 31 on the MCAT (PS-12, VR-9, BS-10). I have tons of EC's and multiple experiences with shadowing, clinical exposure, and volunteer work. I am a PA resident and I was really hoping I could go to one of the Philadelphia schools (Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, Penn's probably a huge reach). Do you guys think I have a chance?
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everybody,
I was hoping I could get some advice to see where I stand. I am in a Master's program right now. I have a cGPA of 3.5 and a sGPA of a 3.6. I have a 31 on the MCAT (PS-12, VR-9, BS-10). I have tons of EC's and multiple experiences with shadowing, clinical exposure, and volunteer work. I am a PA resident and I was really hoping I could go to one of the Philadelphia schools (Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, Penn's probably a huge reach). Do you guys think I have a chance?
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks!
What brought your cGPA down, and when did it happen? Or were your grades consistent throughout with no upward grade trend at the end?
What was your cGPA for the last three semestes of college?
Did you get any As in upper-level Bio and Biochem?
In what discipline is the masters, and what is your GPA so far?

A philosophy and an english class brought my cGPA down during my Junior year. I had a little bit of an upward trend during the last 3 semesters, Junior spring 3.66, senior fall 3.6, senior spring 3.75. I got a B+ in both halfs of Biochemistry. I took several upper level bio courses, got a couple A's and a couple B+. My master's is in Molecular Biology, so far my GPA in that program is a 3.85.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 3.5/31 for All Applicants to MD schools in the last three years has been associated with a 54% chance of an acceptance. Your sustained recent upward grade trend and good grades in upper-level Bio has a chance of putting you a bit higher.

In general, masters-level BCPM isn't considered by med schools due to presumed grade inflation and inequity of comparing candidates who apply without grad school grades, but some schools do consider masters BCPM. To further increase your odds, you might want to target them. This thread will give you some ideas of where to start (read it to the end), but hopefully, you'll call some of your state's schools and be able to add to the list: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10664952

Penn is probably a reach but all the other Philadelphia school should be in reach. Given your extensive ECs, I would apply to most, if not all, of the Jesuit schools (Georgetown cares more about stats). Creighton, SLU and Loyola all value service a lot and place a lower emphasis on your stats.

Thank you all for you help and taking the time to write your responses! I appreciate it!