MD 3.5 cGPA, 31 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alveolarduct

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Currently enrolled in an SMP and got a 4.00 this semester. Residency in VA, male, 23 years old.

MCAT: 31

cGPA: 3.5

sGPA: 3.36

Activities:

1. D1 Student Athlete
2. Various Cultural Clubs
3. AMSA
4. Humanitarian clubs (fourth year) – Volunteered raising money for a humanitarian mission for one club, volunteered time packaging medical supplies for another.

Volunteering:

1. University Hospital
2. Local Free Medical Clinic
3. SMP University Hospital – (last semester)
4. Homeless Shelter
5. Medical mission trip
6. Best Buddies program

Research:

1. Volunteer research position in my hometown first year summer, assisted on a project but no pub.
2. Volunteered for a project at my school for half a year
3. Volunteered and worked for credit in the same lab as above under another PI

Shadowing:

Family medicine, orthopedic surgeon, pediatrics, and DO family medicine. Will be ~100 hours by the time I submit my application.

Schools:

Georgetown
Stony Brook
Penn State
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Albany
SUNY Upstate
Wayne State
Central Michigan
Toledo
W. Virginia
GWU
Rush
NYMC
Drexel
EVMS
VCU
Commonwealth
Cooper
Quinnipiac
Oakland University
Minnesota
Western Michigan
Wright State
Michigan State

Thanks for taking the time to help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As a quick background, I went to a top ten school and graduated last spring. Currently enrolled in an SMP and got a 4.00 this semester. Residency in VA, male, 23 years old.

MCAT: 31 – 11PS/9V/11BS

DAT: TS 21/ AA 22/ PAT 23/ RC 23

cGPA: 3.5

sGPA: 3.36

GPA Trends:

Year – Fall – Spring cGPA

1st – 3.0 – 3.0

2nd – 3.1 – 3.1

3rd – 3.45 – 3.65 (18 credits in fall and 15 during the Spring)

4th – 3.75 – 4.00 (Taking 18 credits each semester)

SMP – 4.00

Activities:

1. D1 Student Athlete (first 3 years)

2. Pre-Dental Club (first 2 ½ years)

3. Various Cultural Clubs - Founded one of them, and held positions such as secretary, volunteer coordinator in some

4. AMSA (fourth year) – Held a position on the academic committee

5. Pre-Med Club (fourth year)

6. Humanitarian clubs (fourth year) – Volunteered raising money for a humanitarian mission for one club, volunteered time packaging medical supplies for another.

Volunteering:

1. University Hospital – (last 1 ½ years) – 125 hours, volunteered once a week, various patient contact positions.

2. Local Free Medical Clinic – (last 1 ½ years) – 150 hours, volunteered once a week, front desk position.

3. SMP University Hospital – (last semester) – 20 hours, volunteered roughly once a week, patient contact position.

4. Homeless Shelter – (last 1 ½ years) – 50 hours, volunteered on breaks in my hometown.

5. Medical mission trip – last year and another coming up next month – volunteered at numerous stations for a week, working 6 AM – 6 PM.

6. Best Buddies program (last semester) – will probably be ~100 when applications are turned in.

Research:

1. Volunteer research position in my hometown first year summer, assisted on a project but no pub.

2. Volunteered for a project at my school for half a year, doing cultures, and data analysis, until funding was cut.

3. Volunteered and worked for credit in the same lab as above under another PI, performed ELISAs, Western Blots, and statistical analysis among other fun things. No pub.

4. May enter into a lab next semester at my SMP school.

Shadowing:

Family medicine, orthopedic surgeon, pediatrics, and DO family medicine. Will be ~100 hours by the time I submit my application.

Info:

I struggled the first few years in school, was pre-dental, got my act somewhat together, took the DAT and did well. Some personal things happened and I realized medicine was my path. There are a lot more personal things to my application that I’ve left out here but know that I am doing medicine for the right reasons. I’ve worked hard the past two years to prepare the best application to medical schools possible. I believe my MCAT score was a little lower than it should have due to a few very personal things popping up last summer. I may retake that, as my verbal score was lower than my AAMC average of 11. My overall AAMC average was 33. Also, I’m not opposed to DO schools, and I know I should be fine for most. Looking for suggestions on my MD school list. Also should add that I am looking into becoming a scribe during the year that I apply. My letter of recs should be excellent.

Schools:

Reach:
Michigan
St. Louis
Miami
Boston

Hopeful:
Georgetown
Stony Brook
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Albany
SUNY Upstate
Wayne State
Central Michigan
Toledo
W. Virginia
GWU
Rush
NYMC
Drexel
EVMS
VCU
Commonwealth
Cooper
Quinnipiac
Oakland University
Minnesota
Western Michigan
Wright State
Michigan State
If your SMP is a recognized one, where you are competing for grades with current med students, you should be in good shape for an acceptance. Pay attention to the very-specific missions of Commonwealth and Central Michigan and be sure you're on board with them, and that you can describe "Strong State Ties" with W Virginia. If Creighton and Georgetown, then consider Loyola as well.

If your SMP is a recognized one, where you are competing for grades with current med students, you should be in good shape for an acceptance. Pay attention to the very-specific missions of Commonwealth and Central Michigan and be sure you're on board with them, and that you can describe "Strong State Ties" with W Virginia. If Creighton and Georgetown, then consider Loyola as well.

Thanks for taking your time to help me out. I'm not competing with med students directly unfortunately. I will also take a close look at the missions of those schools, thanks for the heads up! Also, adding Loyola to my school list. My last question would be, do you think it would be better to become a scribe or do research and try to get a publication (may be unpaid)? Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My last question would be, do you think it would be better to become a scribe or do research and try to get a publication (may be unpaid)? Thanks again for your help!
You are already above average in both those areas, so take your pick. And get paid. Whatever you pick, stay with one or both of your nonmedical community service gigs, or something related, as this is a major strength of your application compared to many.

Have you gotten information from an advisor at your current program about success statistics for getting into MD programs (not just into medical schools, which includes DO success rates)?

You are already above average in both those areas, so take your pick. And get paid. Whatever you pick, stay with one or both of your nonmedical community service gigs, or something related, as this is a major strength of your application compared to many.

Have you gotten information from an advisor at your current program about success statistics for getting into MD programs (not just into medical schools, which includes DO success rates)?

Okay great, I will definitely do that. I believe the success rate is 75%-80% but I think that it is for just medical schools and includes students who did the masters program or took another year off. In any case, I should have the guaranteed interview for VCU (hold above a 3.5 in the program), but that probably means very little. Thanks again!

Hey everyone, I almost forgot to ask about my MCAT score. Should I retake the MCAT in May? I know how to better prepare for the exam and I am confident that I can do better on it on a second try. Would more doors open if I improved my score 2-4 points?

Would more doors open if I improved my score 2-4 points?
Definitely, however be aware you run the risk of a lower score if there are circumstances beyond your control. If you are not consistently scoring at least three points higher on practice exams, it won't be worth the pain of the required intense restudying. Your call.

should have the guaranteed interview for VCU (hold above a 3.5 in the program), but that probably means very little.
I think it means a lot as I've seen them choose capable, but belatedly proven students with earlier academic mediocrity in the past. Of course, you do have to wow them at the interview. See if you can winkle out of your advisor the names of some schools where their alums have ended up.