3.5 cGPA and sGPA 3.4 MD chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dx9618

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cGPA is a 3.55 and my sGPA is about a 3.4 (haven't exactly calculated it to the dot yet, would love so info on how to do this). I am taking my MCAT in July and I'm from Michigan. I am working on my B.S. in Nutrition and Food Science and have a a minor in Biology from Wayne State University. I'm planning on scoring about a 30 on my MCAT.

Ideally, my dream school would be WSU SOM. I think my stats are pretty close to what they generally accept, and I am open to DO as well. I would also like if you could recommend me some schools of where I should apply.

As for the EC..here they are.

-300 hours volunteering in the Surgical Services dept. at a local hospital
-300 hours volunteering in the PreOP/PostOP dept. as a nurse's assistant and shadowing whenever there was down time. I would say about 50 hours of shadowing at a local hospital.
-40 hours volunteering/shadowing in Neuroscience department with doctors who work with epilepsy/stroke patients at another hospital
-1 academic year of volunteering as a research assistant for a reputable professor who teaches in my major (Nutrition). 1 semester was actual lab work in an experimental study while the other semester was creating a meta analysis as a guide for the professor to design the future study on palm oil diets (analyzing various studies for their techniques, procedures, subjects, length and organizing it into a presentable format).
-Paid employment working for a Pathologist who writes an academic textbook as an assistant medical editor. I actually work with the medical textbook to read and edit it. (2008-current)
-Employed by a local charity that provides scholarships for an underprivileged*community.
-Volunteering for the multiple sclerosis Michigan chapter for their runs/walks.
-Volunteering at a local clinic(associated with WSU SOM) that provides treatment to homeless/impoverished patients.
-I am going to volunteer for another research study in Nutrition in July.
-Currently working on starting an medical related organization I am really interested in at my university.
-Teach cultural dance to kids just as a hobby.

Thank you!!! :):):)

Members don't see this ad.

My cGPA is a 3.55 and my sGPA is about a 3.4 (haven't exactly calculated it to the dot yet, would love so info on how to do this). I am taking my MCAT in July and I'm from Michigan. I am working on my B.S. in Nutrition and Food Science and have a a minor in Biology from Wayne State University. I'm planning on scoring about a 30 on my MCAT.

Ideally, my dream school would be WSU SOM. I think my stats are pretty close to what they generally accept, and I am open to DO as well. I would also like if you could recommend me some schools of where I should apply.

As for the EC..here they are.

-300 hours volunteering in the Surgical Services dept. at a local hospital
-300 hours volunteering in the PreOP/PostOP dept. as a nurse's assistant and shadowing whenever there was down time. I would say about 50 hours of shadowing at a local hospital.
-40 hours volunteering/shadowing in Neuroscience department with doctors who work with epilepsy/stroke patients at another hospital
-1 academic year of volunteering as a research assistant for a reputable professor who teaches in my major (Nutrition). 1 semester was actual lab work in an experimental study while the other semester was creating a meta analysis as a guide for the professor to design the future study on palm oil diets (analyzing various studies for their techniques, procedures, subjects, length and organizing it into a presentable format).
-Paid employment working for a Pathologist who writes an academic textbook as an assistant medical editor. I actually work with the medical textbook to read and edit it. (2008-current)
-Employed by a local charity that provides scholarships for an underprivileged*community.
-Volunteering for the multiple sclerosis Michigan chapter for their runs/walks.
-Volunteering at a local clinic(associated with WSU SOM) that provides treatment to homeless/impoverished patients.
-I am going to volunteer for another research study in Nutrition in July.
-Currently working on starting an medical related organization I am really interested in at my university.
-Teach cultural dance to kids just as a hobby.

Thank you!!! :):):)

From an academic standpoint your GPA isn't stellar but its also not that bad. Doing well on the MCAT can make or break you.. if you can get a 33-34 then i think you have a solid shot at M.D

you have a lower gpa so it all depends on your mcat. if you do well, you should have luck. if you score 30ish, apply both and cross your fingers like mad for MD, but know you might have better luck with DO. You will probably have good luck with your state MDs so you should be fine. <30 puts in the DO range but you could still have IS luck with MD depending on how low below 30. You should have good luck if you can do well on the mcat. probably with WSU. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
you have a lower gpa so it all depends on your mcat. if you do well, you should have luck. if you score 30ish, apply both and cross your fingers like mad for MD, but know you might have better luck with DO. You will probably have good luck with your state MDs so you should be fine. <30 puts in the DO range but you could still have IS luck with MD depending on how low below 30. You should have good luck if you can do well on the mcat. probably with WSU. good luck.
Yea that is what I thought too, but I recently spoke with an admissions officer at WSUSOM and she said my GPA(3.54) "falls right in the average range" since its about a 3.6. Also, she seemed very impressed with my EC list. I think my ECs will help big time because I would have lots to talk about in the interview..but first i need to get there!! Pretty much you guys confirmed what I thought, that my MCAT is the most critical factor at this point.

I just wanted to make sure all hopes were not lost for MD.

I would say your chances are low for out of state MD unless you get >32 MCAT. Instate your chances might be ok high twenties, especially if you have some unique attributes. I had 33 MCAT and 3.7 sGPA (>3.8 for DO) and I had a few MD interview invites, but I ended up choosing DO. Good luck!!