3.5 GPA, 32 MCAT. Should I take a Gap Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suckafree108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was hoping I could get some input regarding my chances and whether or not I should take a year off.

GPA: 3.5 sGPA: 3.4
MCAT 32 (11/11/10)

EC:
- 3 years of research in a lab on campus, including funded fellowship program this summer
-mish-mash of community service work at a nursing home and a homeless shelter
-will be shadowing a few doctors this summer

I'm a CA resident and I just finished my junior year of undergrad. My GPA upon graduation (vs applying during senior year) will be slightly higher, probably an overall 3.6-3.65. I will also do a senior thesis and likely have a publication from my research during my senior year. (But med schools won't see this unless I take a year off, right?)

If I apply during senior year, I feel as though my application may be too weak in terms of clinical extra curriculars as well.
Should I apply now, just to "see" if I get in anywhere? (I'd love to get into CA med school)
Or should I take a gap year, and if so what kind of job/activity would be most helpful? (Personally I really enjoy research, so I'd likely be working in a lab and doing volunteering work part time. I wouldn't mind doing a SMP either.)

Thank you so much for your input!!

Members don't see this ad.

CA would be tough. The higher GPA, publication, and more time spent on ECs would definitely help.

If you apply broadly, you may have a shot, but you must ask yourself if you really want to take the chance just to "see" if you get in anywhere. If you're not absolutely ready/determined, it would most likely show (through your essays/interview) and it will end up hurting you.

With your time off, do what you enjoy but plan wisely.

Hi there,

I was hoping I could get some input regarding my chances and whether or not I should take a year off.

GPA: 3.5 sGPA: 3.4
MCAT 32 (11/11/10)

EC:
- 3 years of research in a lab on campus, including funded fellowship program this summer
-mish-mash of community service work at a nursing home and a homeless shelter
-will be shadowing a few doctors this summer

I'm a CA resident and I just finished my junior year of undergrad. My GPA upon graduation (vs applying during senior year) will be slightly higher, probably an overall 3.6-3.65. I will also do a senior thesis and likely have a publication from my research during my senior year. (But med schools won't see this unless I take a year off, right?)

If I apply during senior year, I feel as though my application may be too weak in terms of clinical extra curriculars as well.
Should I apply now, just to "see" if I get in anywhere? (I'd love to get into CA med school)
Or should I take a gap year, and if so what kind of job/activity would be most helpful? (Personally I really enjoy research, so I'd likely be working in a lab and doing volunteering work part time. I wouldn't mind doing a SMP either.)

Thank you so much for your input!!
Your research activity will already be strong. Use a gap year to help strengthen a weaker area in your application. For example: If you don't have consistent, substantive medical exposure or nonmedical community service, you might consider Health Corps or Americorps. You could also just get a regular job and engage in weekly clinical volunteering and additional community service. Leadership and Teacing activites would also benefit your application.

You don't need an SMP, but it would be very helpful if you demonstrate particularly strong grades in the next year and get your GPAs up higher.