MD & DO 3.5 sgpa/cgpa, 30MCAT, ohio resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rek34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-Kent State University biology BS
-3 semesters of research experience in a chemistry lab
-100 hrs volunteering (hospitals, homeless shelter, other misc. opportunities)
-40 hrs physician shadowing
-upward gpa trend (2 C's and 1 D freshman year)
-taking a gap year (plan for scribe or emt work)

I plan on applying almost exclusively in state at Toledo, Wright State, Ohio University, Neomed, and Cincinnati, but I'm open to out of state suggestions as safety options.

Thank you for your consideration.

edit: might be worth noting that my DO gpa is considerably higher due to retake policy (~3.65sgpa/cgpa)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looks good. I'd add on places like Creighton, Loyola, RFU, Jefferson, Temple, Albany, NYMC, and Vermont.

Overall you have a great shot at Ohio U. and a decent shot at Toledo, Wright St., and NeoMed.

Last edited:
Please chance me.

-Kent State University biology BS
-3 semesters of research experience in a chemistry lab
-100 hrs volunteering (hospitals, homeless shelter, other misc. opportunities)
-40 hrs physician shadowing
-upward gpa trend (2 C's and 1 D freshman year)
-taking a gap year (plan for scribe or emt work)

I plan on applying almost exclusively in state at Toledo, Wright State, Ohio University, Neomed, and Cincinnati, but I'm open to out of state suggestions as safety options.

Thank you for your consideration.

edit: might be worth noting that my DO gpa is considerably higher due to retake policy (~3.65sgpa/cgpa)
Could you break down your volunteering into medical vs nonmedical? Will you be starting the scribing or EMT before you apply (so it can be listed on the application)?

Any teaching or peer leadership?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you break down your volunteering into medical vs nonmedical? Will you be starting the scribing or EMT before you apply (so it can be listed on the application)?

-My volunteering is about an 80/20% split medical/nonmedical.
-Scribe or EMT experience will begin over the summer so I won't be able to talk about it other than during interviews.
-I realize that I have a lack of leadership demonstration, but I plan to improve on this weakness in the future.

I plan to submit immediately when applications open for this cycle so this is basically where I stand as far as the initial review process is concerned.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

-My volunteering is about an 80/20% split medical/nonmedical.
-Scribe or EMT experience will begin over the summer so I won't be able to talk about it other than during interviews.
Having only 20 hours of nonmedical community service will not appeal to Loyola and Creighton on alpinism's list above.

And, the majority of med schools will look on 80 hours of active clinical experience as sparse, so it will be important for you to communicate your augmented experiences in Secondary essays and update letters where permitted, so that you have the opportunity to discuss them in interview conversations.

Since you do have a few weak areas, live your application year as if you may need to reapply, so you'd have pertinent improvements to list on the next round.

You might also consider some postbac upper-level Bio to continue improving your BCPM GPA, if primarily MD is important to you (and it's also fine to communicate those good grades in update letters).