3.52 cgpa, 3.49 sgpa 510 Mcat Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteopathic1212

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I attended the University of Pittsburgh and graduated with a B.S. in Rehabilitation Science, minor in chem, and a cert. in pathokinesiology. I am a PA resident.

I was wondering WAMC were for MD/DO schools. My stats are:

100 Volunteer hours clinically
100 Shadowing hours- Many specialties
1 semester- research funded by the D.O.D.
Leadership positions in a fraternity
In an honors fraternity
Worked 4 semesters in college (after Sophomore year I worked)
Upward trend in gpa starting 2nd semester Sophomore year
Deans list 5/7 semesters
In higher level sciences mainly A's and A-'s with a couple B+'s and B's
Study Abroad program in Austria where we studied there healthcare system in comparison to ours
Active in a couple of clubs on campus

In my GAP year:
I will be getting EMT certified and working as an EMT once certified
I have started volunteering with Big Brothers/Big Sisters
Applying for research positions until I'm EMT certified

DO School List:
PCOM-PA
PCOM-GA
KCUMB
MSUCOM
WESTERN
WVCOM
MIDWESTERN
DESMOINES
UNIVERSITY OF NE
VCOM
TUCOM-NY
AT STILL
AZCOM

MD:
Wake Forest
NYMC
Drexel
Jefferson
Penn State
Temple

I know for MD my stats are low. Wondering if I should even bother applying to MD. So if I could have some input on my DO school list and if I should even consider applying to MD that would be great.

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats. You chances for a MD acceptance are roughly 50%. For MD consider adding schools such as:
Commonwealth
Albany
Quinnipiac
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Creighton
Tulane
any new private schools that open for 2018 (Roseman, Seton Hall).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much. Any other suggestions on adding anything else to my GAP year? I can't think of anything to else to add myself.

Frankly, many Adcoms consider EMT to be nothing more than a glorified taxi driver, so I recommend some other clinical exposure. Maybe scribing. Try hospice or working with sick kids.

Thanks so much. Any other suggestions on adding anything else to my GAP year? I can't think of anything to else to add myself.

Man that stinks. I was looking forward to it! Well I am going to apply to some research positions with the university hospital system. Thank you for your honesty.