MD 3.52 cGPA, 3.49 sGPA Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

punnykid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I am a BME/Electrical engineering double major at a top 10 school.
Permanent resident of Michigan.
My GPA suffered freshman and first semester sophomore year but it has improved.
My sGPA is a 3.49 and cGPA is 3.52.
I am planning on taking the MCAT next month and is aiming for a 33-36.

My EC's are:
Vice-president of an engineering club w/ awards at competitions
Summer volunteer at foreign hospital for 2 months (full-time, minimal clinical encounters)
Summer medical volunteer trip 1 week (clinical-heavy)
Tutoring (1 semester)
Shadowing (1 doctor, ~50 hrs)
Research: 1.5 years in one lab. I am in a new lab now (~1.5 years)

Background:
Both parents are doctors (foreign country)
ORM (Asian male)

What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Chances are poor with no non-clincal Ecs, limited clinical ECs (Adcoms are not impressed with foreign trips, BTW), AND a below avg GPA. The GPAs are still competitive.

You need to show your altruism, and demonstrate that you know what you're getting into. 4.0 automatons are a dime-a-dozen.

Hi.
I am a BME/Electrical engineering double major at a top 10 school.
Permanent resident of Michigan.
My GPA suffered freshman and first semester sophomore year but it has improved.
My sGPA is a 3.49 and cGPA is 3.52.
I am planning on taking the MCAT next month and is aiming for a 33-36.

My EC's are:
Vice-president of an engineering club w/ awards at competitions
Summer volunteer at foreign hospital for 2 months (full-time, minimal clinical encounters)
Summer medical volunteer trip 1 week (clinical-heavy)
Tutoring (1 semester)
Shadowing (1 doctor, ~50 hrs)
Research: 1.5 years in one lab. I am in a new lab now (~1.5 years)

Background:
Both parents are doctors (foreign country)
ORM (Asian male)

What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
You need more evidence of your commitment to service, especially local clinical service and volunteerism. I agree with @Goro that those foreign "mission" trips are often poorly received. At least the two month one hopefully gave you insights into health care in other countries that can use as a counterpoint to your impression of US healthcare.

A strong upward trend and a very good MCAT will help. Are you planning on next year's cycle?

Thank you everyone for your replies.
@Goro @gyngyn, I was planning on applying this cycle but am starting to think otherwise. Would it be smarter to get those clinical experiences in and apply next year?

I shadowed a colleague of my parents. Would this be a negative? I am looking for a shadowing spot I can experience while I prepare for the MCAT this summer.

I submit that it is best to apply with the best possible app. in your case, it definitely means taking a gap year. Shadowing a colleague of your parents won't be an issue.

Thank you everyone for your replies.
@Goro @gyngyn, I was planning on applying this cycle but am starting to think otherwise. Would it be smarter to get those clinical experiences in and apply next year?

I shadowed a colleague of my parents. Would this be a negative? I am looking for a shadowing spot I can experience while I prepare for the MCAT this summer.