SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MD 3.52 cGPA, 3.49 sGPA Chances?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by punnykid, May 15, 2014.

1. punnykid

punnykid

Sep 15, 2013
    Hi.
    I am a BME/Electrical engineering double major at a top 10 school.
    Permanent resident of Michigan.
    My GPA suffered freshman and first semester sophomore year but it has improved.
    My sGPA is a 3.49 and cGPA is 3.52.
    I am planning on taking the MCAT next month and is aiming for a 33-36.

My EC's are:
    Vice-president of an engineering club w/ awards at competitions
    Summer volunteer at foreign hospital for 2 months (full-time, minimal clinical encounters)
    Summer medical volunteer trip 1 week (clinical-heavy)
    Tutoring (1 semester)
    Shadowing (1 doctor, ~50 hrs)
    Research: 1.5 years in one lab. I am in a new lab now (~1.5 years)

Background:
    Both parents are doctors (foreign country)
    ORM (Asian male)

What are my chances?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. punnykid

punnykid

Sep 15, 2013
    bump..

4. Goro

Goro Faculty 7+ Year Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Somewhere west of St. Louis
    Chances are poor with no non-clincal Ecs, limited clinical ECs (Adcoms are not impressed with foreign trips, BTW), AND a below avg GPA. The GPAs are still competitive.

You need to show your altruism, and demonstrate that you know what you're getting into. 4.0 automatons are a dime-a-dozen.

5. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Alta California
    You need more evidence of your commitment to service, especially local clinical service and volunteerism. I agree with @Goro that those foreign "mission" trips are often poorly received. At least the two month one hopefully gave you insights into health care in other countries that can use as a counterpoint to your impression of US healthcare.

A strong upward trend and a very good MCAT will help. Are you planning on next year's cycle?

6. candbgirl

candbgirl Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Was the shadowing with your parents?

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  7. punnykid

punnykid

Sep 15, 2013
    Thank you everyone for your replies.
    @Goro @gyngyn, I was planning on applying this cycle but am starting to think otherwise. Would it be smarter to get those clinical experiences in and apply next year?

I shadowed a colleague of my parents. Would this be a negative? I am looking for a shadowing spot I can experience while I prepare for the MCAT this summer.

8. Goro

Goro Faculty 7+ Year Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Somewhere west of St. Louis
    I submit that it is best to apply with the best possible app. in your case, it definitely means taking a gap year. Shadowing a colleague of your parents won't be an issue.