3.52 cGPA, 3.85 sGPA, 518 MCAT. Recovering Alcoholic.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saftee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, here's the deal. I'm 26 years old and basically drank my way through the ages of 18-22. During that time, I was suspended from a good school twice, got two DUI's, and withdrew multiple semesters. I sorted myself out at 22, got sober, and returned to school in 2012. Since then, I had no academic issues and an overall GPA around 3.75-3.8. I did 14 hours of post-bac classes last year and got a 4.0. I have some, but limited, research, average volunteering stats, and have scribed for the past year.

Overall, I believe I am a decent candidate based on the numbers, but, understandably, have a mountain to climb in reconciling my history. When I was drinking, It was really bad time in my life. But then, I righted the ship and have tried to be the good, ambitious person I was before I started drinking. I never let myself say this out loud, but I really want to be a physician and don't want to spend my life doing anything else. But, if smart people think because of the scorched earth in my wake, medical school is not a feasible reality, then I will cope and find another career. You won't hurt my feelings, so please don't hesitate to be honest in your input. I could have just said this first, but my question is should I pursue this endeavor given the headwinds? Can I be viewed as a serious candidate who can face the rigors of medical school and beyond?

Also, I applied this year and finished all my secondaries in July.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congratulations on maintaining your sobriety and getting your life back. You have accomplished a lot, and I wish you the best going forward. I do not know how med schools will view your history, but 4 years of exemplary behavior will look good. @Goro @gyngyn @Faha should be able to help you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll suggest the following, given your limits in research. You have a compelling story, and that will count for something.

U AZ
U VM
U VM
U WI
Ohio State
Jefferson
U IA
UCSF
UCLA, UCSD, UCI, UCR (IF you’re from the Inland Empire)
U Cincy
U Toledo
Miami
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Mayo
Pitt
Columbia
Duke
Case
Hofstra
Your state schools
Temple
Gtown
GWU

So, here's the deal. I'm 26 years old and basically drank my way through the ages of 18-22. During that time, I was suspended from a good school twice, got two DUI's, and withdrew multiple semesters. I sorted myself out at 22, got sober, and returned to school in 2012. Since then, I had no academic issues and an overall GPA around 3.75-3.8. I did 14 hours of post-bac classes last year and got a 4.0. I have some, but limited, research, average volunteering stats, and have scribed for the past year.

Overall, I believe I am a decent candidate based on the numbers, but, understandably, have a mountain to climb in reconciling my history. When I was drinking, It was really bad time in my life. But then, I righted the ship and have tried to be the good, ambitious person I was before I started drinking. I never let myself say this out loud, but I really want to be a physician and don't want to spend my life doing anything else. But, if smart people think because of the scorched earth in my wake, medical school is not a feasible reality, then I will cope and find another career. You won't hurt my feelings, so please don't hesitate to be honest in your input.

I'll suggest the following, given your limits in research. You have a compelling story, and that will count for something.

U AZ
U VM
U VM
U WI
Ohio State
Jefferson
U IA
UCSF
UCLA, UCSD, UCI, UCR (IF you’re from the Inland Empire)
U Cincy
U Toledo
Miami
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Mayo
Pitt
Columbia
Duke
Case
Hofstra
Your state schools
Temple
Gtown
GWU
Thank you for the advice.

North Carolina
Focus on private schools that accept at least 15% OOS with a median MCAT around 35.
Your MCAT corresponds to a higher median but the lack of research makes you a modest candidate for those schools.

Reactions: 1 user
OP said that they already applied, and finished all of their secondaries in mid-July

Focus on private schools that accept at least 15% OOS with a median MCAT around 35.
Your MCAT corresponds to a higher median but the lack of research makes you a modest candidate for those schools.
Thank you. Below is the list of schools where I completed secondary applications. I actually used guidelines similar to what you suggested but maybe a little more forgiving than your numbers.

Columbia University College of P & S
Drexel University College of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Meharry Medical College
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Quinnipiac University SOM
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
The Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina Univ
The University of Vermont College of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
University of North Carolina School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicin
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Weill Cornell Medicine

It's difficult to say where your application might gain traction, but there are at least 4 or 5 that would reasonably grant an interview. Your stats are too high for many of them and your research is weak for the others. You don't seem to be a fit for Meharry. Let us know how it goes.

It's difficult to say where your application might gain traction, but there are at least 4 or 5 that would reasonably grant an interview. Your stats are too high for many of them and your research is weak for the others. You don't seem to be a fit for Meharry. Let us know how it goes.
I will. I really appreciate the time you took to reply.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that ones in red will be mere donations, unless you're a resident of the state those state schools are in. Brown favors their own.

Columbia University College of P & S
Drexel University College of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Meharry Medical College
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Quinnipiac University SOM
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
The Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina Univ
The University of Vermont College of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
University of North Carolina School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicin
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Weill Cornell Medicine[/QUOTE]

Overall, I believe I am a decent candidate based on the numbers, but, understandably, have a mountain to climb in reconciling my history. When I was drinking, It was really bad time in my life. But then, I righted the ship and have tried to be the good, ambitious person I was before I started drinking. I never let myself say this out loud, but I really want to be a physician and don't want to spend my life doing anything else. But, if smart people think because of the scorched earth in my wake, medical school is not a feasible reality, then I will cope and find another career. You won't hurt my feelings, so please don't hesitate to be honest in your input. I could have just said this first, but my question is should I pursue this endeavor given the headwinds? Can I be viewed as a serious candidate who can face the rigors of medical school and beyond?

I am proud of you nonetheless and if all is true, you would be a great candidate. I say don't give up. Consider the Caribbeans...