3.52 cGPA and 37Q MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gognamayank

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

I am new to this forum.
I am a canadian citizen currently in my 4th year at UofT
- I wanted to get ur expertise in the admissions matter in US schools.

- canadian schools are out of the question due to my low GPA and i wanted to know what are my chances in US MD schools. applying to DO schools in not an option. My Gpa year wise is as follows:

1st year: 3.20
2nd year: 3.26

3rd year: 3.7
4th year: 3.9 (most likely)

this gpa is according to UofT scale which should be very close to AAMC scale

EC and Achievements:

- 100 hours volunteering at the community hospital
- have gotten queens Elizabeth scholarship
- entrance scholarship from UofT
- tutored high schools students chemistry during summer holidays
- Ran facilitated study groups for organic chemistry at UofT
- Was an executive member at one of the cultural clubs at UofT for one year

I want to know what are my chances at US MD schools considering my application. And if i need to improve on some areas of my application. Please suggest what you can

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

No research, lower cGPA, standard low-level leadership, and less-than average clinical experience make the most selective research giants unlikely for you. If you were paid for tutoring and the study group, you also don't have nonmedical community service either. I know shadowing is difficult/impossible to attain in your area, so I won't criticize that lack. Did you just decide to apply to med schools in the last year? That's what your activities suggest.

I don't think your chances are great unless you fix some of the above issues, but your niche, despite the great MCAT score should be mid-selective and more-selective schools below the top twenty. Your competition among other international applicants competing for a small number of seats will have all I've mentioned and more. Any chance of staying in school another year to raise the GPAs and beef up your activities?

Members don't see this ad :)
No research, lower cGPA, standard low-level leadership, and less-than average clinical experience make the most selective research giants unlikely for you. If you were paid for tutoring and the study group, you also don't have nonmedical community service either. I know shadowing is difficult/impossible to attain in your area, so I won't criticize that lack. Did you just decide to apply to med schools in the last year? That's what your activities suggest.

I don't think your chances are great unless you fix some of the above issues, but your niche, despite the great MCAT score should be mid-selective and more-selective schools below the top twenty. Your competition among other international applicants competing for a small number of seats will have all I've mentioned and more. Any chance of staying in school another year to raise the GPAs and beef up your activities?

i dont think so i want to stay back for another year and i did not apply last year to any medical schools i knew that my application was not at par with other students.

Do u guys advise taking the Caribbean route?

Nice upward trend may be looked on favorably. Very good MCAT score as well. Cat pointed out your weaknesses though. I think if you apply broadly to schools that are favorable to international/Canadian applicants you have a shot at interviews. No research and volunteering is going to hurt you though. If you can afford it, apply to Carrib too if you aren't considering DO.