Aug 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I am a student at UIUC with below average GPA at 3.52 and a good MCAT 34.
What are my chances at any MD school? How do I find out which ones are mid-tier and low-tier?

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
What are my chances at any MD school? How do I find out which ones are mid-tier and low-tier?
What is your BCPM GPA? What brought your cGPA down? Can you discuss the ECs you'll be applying with?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Chances are pretty good. Invest in MSAR and target schools that have median scores similar to yours. Avoid OOS public schools thoguh, they prefer the home team.

If you're from IL, you're fine for all IL schools except UC and possibly Northwestern. Avoid SIU is you're not from southern IL.

Reactions: sampete55
OP
S
Aug 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
What is your BCPM GPA? What brought your cGPA down? Can you discuss the ECs you'll be applying with?
3.45 BCPM, Had a terrible sophomore year, but have a strong upward trend starting with Junior year.

EC: 3 years of Research, 50 hours of shadowing, 2 years of work (tutor ), 100 hours of volunteering, and some leadership roles.

OP
S
Aug 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Chances are pretty good. Invest in MSAR and target schools that have median scores similar to yours. Avoid OOS public schools thoguh, they prefer the home team.

If you're from IL, you're fine for all IL schools except UC and possibly Northwestern. Avoid SIU is you're not from southern IL.
Thanks for your advice!

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
3.45 BCPM, Had a terrible sophomore year, but have a strong upward trend starting with Junior year.

EC: 3 years of Research, 50 hours of shadowing, 2 years of work (tutor ), 100 hours of volunteering, and some leadership roles.
When you say "Volunteering" do you mean clinical volunteering or nonmedical community service? Really, you need both to appeal to the broadest number of med schools.

Are you a senior now? If so good, as you'd have a 2 year consistent upward grade trend since your bad year. This will be reassuring to adcomms.

OP
S
Aug 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
When you say "Volunteering" do you mean clinical volunteering or nonmedical community service? Really, you need both to appeal to the broadest number of med schools.

Are you a senior now? If so good, as you'd have a 2 year consistent upward grade trend since your bad year. This will be reassuring to adcomms.
Yes, both kind of volunteering and a senior this year.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006