MD 3.52 GPA, 34 MCAT, at UIUC. What are my chances for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sampete55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a student at UIUC with below average GPA at 3.52 and a good MCAT 34.
What are my chances at any MD school? How do I find out which ones are mid-tier and low-tier?

Members don't see this ad.

Chances are pretty good. Invest in MSAR and target schools that have median scores similar to yours. Avoid OOS public schools thoguh, they prefer the home team.

If you're from IL, you're fine for all IL schools except UC and possibly Northwestern. Avoid SIU is you're not from southern IL.

I am a student at UIUC with below average GPA at 3.52 and a good MCAT 34.
What are my chances at any MD school? How do I find out which ones are mid-tier and low-tier?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What is your BCPM GPA? What brought your cGPA down? Can you discuss the ECs you'll be applying with?
3.45 BCPM, Had a terrible sophomore year, but have a strong upward trend starting with Junior year.

EC: 3 years of Research, 50 hours of shadowing, 2 years of work (tutor ), 100 hours of volunteering, and some leadership roles.

Chances are pretty good. Invest in MSAR and target schools that have median scores similar to yours. Avoid OOS public schools thoguh, they prefer the home team.

If you're from IL, you're fine for all IL schools except UC and possibly Northwestern. Avoid SIU is you're not from southern IL.
Thanks for your advice!

3.45 BCPM, Had a terrible sophomore year, but have a strong upward trend starting with Junior year.

EC: 3 years of Research, 50 hours of shadowing, 2 years of work (tutor ), 100 hours of volunteering, and some leadership roles.
When you say "Volunteering" do you mean clinical volunteering or nonmedical community service? Really, you need both to appeal to the broadest number of med schools.

Are you a senior now? If so good, as you'd have a 2 year consistent upward grade trend since your bad year. This will be reassuring to adcomms.

When you say "Volunteering" do you mean clinical volunteering or nonmedical community service? Really, you need both to appeal to the broadest number of med schools.

Are you a senior now? If so good, as you'd have a 2 year consistent upward grade trend since your bad year. This will be reassuring to adcomms.
Yes, both kind of volunteering and a senior this year.