3.53 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA, 522 MCAT, should I do a SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

protectedidentity

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
California resident, 3rd time applicant. First MCAT (old)- 32. Just took the new MCAT: 522. Non-URM.

5000+ Hrs Clinical Experience
1400 Hrs Research Experience (No papers but have submitted abstracts and presented posters at the APA)
280 Hrs Non-Clinical Volunteering
700 Hrs Clinical Volunteering

I have been accepted into the Georgetown SMP which I would begin in August. However, with my new MCAT score, I'm not sure if it is necessary anymore and have a great clinical job right now that would include being published. Would really appreciate some feedback soon as I have to make the decision soon.

Members don't see this ad.

California resident, 3rd time applicant. First MCAT (old)- 32. Just took the new MCAT: 522. Non-URM.

5000+ Hrs Clinical Experience
1400 Hrs Research Experience (No papers but have submitted abstracts and presented posters at the APA)
280 Hrs Non-Clinical Volunteering
700 Hrs Clinical Volunteering

I have been accepted into the Georgetown SMP which I would begin in August. However, with my new MCAT score, I'm not sure if it is necessary anymore and have a great clinical job right now that would include being published. Would really appreciate some feedback soon as I have to make the decision soon.
Whether or not you need an SMP depends a lot on why you are a 3rd time applicant. What happened in your first 2 cycles? Did you apply late? To the wrong schools? Not enough schools? Didn't have good EC's? Bad PS? Bad LOR's? Any red flags, such as an IA?Give us a few details of your prior applications and we can offer better advice. Did you receive any interviews at all? Is so, where?

Reactions: 1 user
Whether or not you need an SMP depends a lot on why you are a 3rd time applicant. What happened in your first 2 cycles? Did you apply late? To the wrong schools? Not enough schools? Didn't have good EC's? Bad PS? Bad LOR's? Any red flags, such as an IA?Give us a few details of your prior applications and we can offer better advice. Did you receive any interviews at all? Is so, where?

Thanks for your response. I had a low GPA in my first cycle and should not have applied (3.39) and had a pretty poor essay. Second time around I had a 3.51 GPA and some more clinical experience and what I thought was a decent essay. I had one interview and was waitlisted at Geisinger Commonwealth.

Members don't see this ad :)
How broadly did you apply? 3.5 with a decent previous MCAT makes me think either you didn't apply broadly enough or that there is something really quirky about your app. If it's the former, applying more broadly with your new MCAT should be a good chance for acceptance somewhere. If there is something quirky like a bad LOR or IA, then the new mcat won't change that much.

How broadly did you apply? 3.5 with a decent previous MCAT makes me think either you didn't apply broadly enough or that there is something really quirky about your app. If it's the former, applying more broadly with your new MCAT should be a good chance for acceptance somewhere. If there is something quirky like a bad LOR or IA, then the new mcat won't change that much.
I replied fairly broadly; I'm confident that my LOR's are strong but the only quirky thing I can think of is that I mentioned how I overcame a situational depression in my second application essay and how it sparked my research in clinical neuroscience. My new essay does not have a mention of this. Making the assumption that there's nothing too quirky about my app this year, do you think a SMP is worth it? And thank you for your reply.

I replied fairly broadly; I'm confident that my LOR's are strong but the only quirky thing I can think of is that I mentioned how I overcame a situational depression in my second application essay and how it sparked my research in clinical neuroscience. My new essay does not have a mention of this. Making the assumption that there's nothing too quirky about my app this year, do you think a SMP is worth it? And thank you for your reply.

I'm sure someone will flame me for this but the safest bet for keeping things on track is to assume that everyone who looks at your application will engage in some degree of ableism. Some things you can't hide, but the facets that you can, you should. The general advice given is to not list anything in your application that could be considered a physical or mental defect. Since you've removed that and your new MCAT is great, I wouldn't waste the time or money on an SMP, but my two cents is worth exactly 2 cents :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, stay strong. Mind sharing/comparing school lists for this cycle?

I too am a 3rd time CA applicant. I had a 3.5 GPA/35 mcat and only managed 1 interview both cycles.