3.53 cGPA,3.62sGPA, 33 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nodigaesto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 3+years of research but not much clinical experience (couple months in a clinic and a semester in an OR for 3 hrs a week). Would that hurt my chances? I was pretty involved in the research and didnt have much time for other volunteering.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
clinical experience is pretty much the only EC requirement for med school. fortunately, it's quality over quantity, but if you have not had at least a couple significant (not just going for one day or one week) experiences then i'd try and fix that asap.

clinical experience is pretty much the only EC requirement for med school. fortunately, it's quality over quantity, but if you have not had at least a couple significant (not just going for one day or one week) experiences then i'd try and fix that asap.

Thanks for your prompt reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well you aren't in too bad of a situation at the moment. Your cGPA and sGPA are adequate and your MCAT is strong so you definitely have a chance at low and mid tier schools, just based on the numbers. If you're going to try and apply this cycle, you may get a little love, but you should really try to bolster your clinical experience. Most med schools would like to see a significant time commitment to medicine in the form of clinical volunteering. One year would be ideal, but I think you could get away with 6 or so months.

If you do decide to apply this cycle, use update letters to your advantage by having lots of things to tell the adcoms. Try to continue clinical volunteering throughout the cycle and it could help fill in a significant gap in your resume. Other than that shadow a couple of doctors if you already haven't and you're well on your way.

The above posters are correct. I'd suggest you follow Cro's advice. And live the next year like you won't get accepted this cycle, beefing up your extracurriculars: Shadowing, clinical, community service, leadership, teaching. That way if you have to reapply, you'll be in a good spot a year from now, and you'll certainly have plenty to say in your update letters.

Consider applying MD/PhD as those programs don't emphasize the important of clinical experience as much.

Consider applying MD/PhD as those programs don't emphasize the important of clinical experience as much.

Yeah not a bad idea I suppose. Not sure if the numbers would cut it though.

There are some less-selective programs out there.

How are your publications like? They have to be stellar since your numbers don't cut it, IMO.

Your chances are above average. Best of luck in the admissions process.