WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Looks like a pretty solid list to me overall.

Remove Penn State, Jefferson, Rush, Tufts, Temple, Tulane, Brown, and UNC.

The first 6 are not likely to seriously consider you because of your MCAT, Brown is because they're a low yield school for the vast majority of applicants, and UNC because they are extremely in-state biased.

Unless you really really want to be in DC, I would take out GW and Georgetown because they each get 15k+ apps (Well, I think it's like 13k Georgetown and 18k GW but they're two of the highest of any school) and they're not likely to take you seriously because of your MCAT (unless, again, you express extreme interest in being in DC).

Dartmouth is probably unnecessary as well.

You are likely to have luck at top schools so add a few more. I recommend WashU in St. Louis, Vanderbilt, UPenn, Pitt, Michigan, Hopkins. I would also add Hofstra and USC-Keck.

UVA and VCU are likely to give you interviews.

Reactions: DingoPingo

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Agree with WedgeDawg mostly, but suggest adding Hofstra, Rosy Franklin, NYMC, Albany, Pitt, Tulane, and ALL VA schools. Keep the Philly Triplets, and Gtown. Overall I think your list is too top heavy, but a 524 MCAT is nothing to sneeze at.

Suggest investing in MSAR Online. They now show numbers of matriculants who have come from post-bac programs. Some schools on your list are quite paltry, others, like Columbia, reward reinvention.

Last edited:

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
I'd remove the OOS schools where your MCAT is way above the 90th(ie Rush Penn St Drexel Temple etc). NYMC types aren't going to do anything for you.
UNC has an unofficial 3.6/33 OOS cut off
If you are regional for GW and Gtown and are interested in them I'd probably apply
I dont really think you fit what Brown is looking for
Do all that, you'll have about a dozen schools you can go in with a realistic shot at an interview. That should be enough. You have a good shot at UVA
If you dont like the idea of going to school in VA, perhaps swap some of the top 20's with OOS friendly schools where the MCAT median is closer to 34-35(ie Ohio St, Cincinnati, Einstein etc)

Last edited:

Horse Apiece

2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
One suggestion: Baylor? I feel like your stats might get you an interview as an OOS applicant there.

OP
H
Feb 19, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone -- This advice was really helpful. Thank you for taking the time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile