Oct 24, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
- Was a bio major as a freshman and performed very poorly (~ 3.0)
- Changed my major to psych and performed better (~3.7)
- Decided to pursue medicine as a senior and ended up finishing my pre med prerequisites in a pos bac year (4.0 GPA in 23 credit hours)
-I have two Institutional Actions for alcohol consumption in the dorms
- Mediocre volunteer, research, and shadowing experiences

-applying to all public ohio schools and a few privates which I think are within my range (Loyola, Georgetown, George Washingington, etc.)

What do you guys think my chances are? Any help is greatly appreciated

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Your best chances will be at your Ohio schools. You could add schools such as:
West Virginia
Indiana
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan

Malkin.12

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
You would have a decent chance of the schools listed bellow:

-The Commonwealth Medical College

-Rosalind Franklin University and Science

-Western Michigan University School of Medicine

-Medical College of Wisconsin

*I'm sure there's a lot more!

Are you also interested in osteopathic medical schools? If so, that wouldn't be a terrible idea.

OP
G
Oct 24, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the feedback guys. Here is my actual list of schools I'm applying to. Should have posted this initially

Ohio State
University of Cincinnati
Wright State University
Northeast Ohio Medical School
Loyola Chicago
George Washington
Rosalind Franklin
VCU
Louisville
Oregon
New York Medical College
Georgetown
Tufts
Indiana

Think I might add Wisconsin and Commonwealth but idk for sure yet. Are schools like Georgetown, GW, and Loyola unlikely options given how many apps they get?Any other thoughts?

Reactions: Malkin.12

Malkin.12

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the feedback guys. Here is my actual list of schools I'm applying to. Should have posted this initially

Ohio State
University of Cincinnati
Wright State University
Loyola Chicago
George Washington
Rosalind Franklin
VCU
Louisville
Oregon
New York Medical College
Georgetown
Tufts
Indiana

Think I might add Wisconsin and Commonwealth but idk for sure yet. Are schools like Georgetown, GW, and Loyola unlikely options given how many apps they get?Any other thoughts?
With your status, you would have to be a URM for getting into MCW. You can still give it a shot. Nice list by the way. Best of luck!

trimethylpurine

2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2015
Somewhere out West
Status
Medical Student
Sorry man, I chose Oregon because I'm instate. I would not recommend applying there OOS. To fit in their "academic excellence" mission group, you need minimum 3.7/32.

trimethylpurine

2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2015
Somewhere out West
Status
Medical Student
I don't think Wisconsin is going to be as generous with its OOS offers this year.
With your status, you would have to be a URM for getting into MCW. You can still give it a shot. Nice list by the way. Best of luck!
Why do you guys say this? Legitimately curious since I already sent in my primary for there and am wrapping up the secondary.

Malkin.12

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Could you expand on UW's over-acceptance issue? I'm an in-state applicant with similar stats.
This year's over-acceptance is unlikely to affect the management of IS applicants, except that it increases the number of deferrals into next year's class. This reduces the number of available seats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Goro

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician

Ohio State
University of Cincinnati
Wright State University
Loyola Chicago
George Washington
Rosalind Franklin
VCU
Louisville
Oregon
New York Medical College
Georgetown
Tufts
Indiana

Apply to Toledo also.

MareNostrummm

D.O. Class of 2022
2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Will the 124 in C/P cause some problems though?...
I don't really think so... your overall score is a very nice 514 and it would be really hard to not acknowledge the 130 in Psych and 131 Verbal.

That being said, georgetown's application page https://som.georgetown.edu/prospectivestudents/degrees/md/guide
states:

MCAT -
  • Old Version (before 2015):
    • A highly competitive applicant will score ≥10 in each section.
    • Scores ≤8 in either the biological or physical sciences or ≤7 in verbal reasoning are considered non-competitive.
  • New Version (2015 and beyond):
    • Section scores <125 are considered non-competitive.
Although people are apparently getting into Georgetown with 124s anyway so take that with a grain of salt.