3.53 gpa 35 mcat, advanced placement, Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moemoekyun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN community, this is my first time posting after observing for about a year and would like as much feedback and as many suggestions as possible.

-cGPA is 3.53 and MCAT is 35, 12 PS, 10 VR, 13 BS

-I have volunteered at a hospital ED for ~6 months, ~170 hrs and planning to volunteer at another (moved recently)

-Hospital is looking to set me up to shadow an anesthesiologist and/or trauma doctor, hopefully sometime in the next few weeks

-Research experience is a little iffy. I was officially in a Biochemistry lab for one semester (unofficial for a previous), but I ended up leaving since I was only given b*tch work (dishes, buffers, media prep), I didn't really get along with anyone in the lab, and I felt my time would be better off elsewhere (though I did learn a lot of techniques and research/presentation skills, the PI will admit that much). On the other hand, I was involved in another semester research program where I did a mini group project (results were already known, purpose was to find a way to incorporate the principles into a teaching lab) and UTA'd the lab (a molec bio/biochem lab).

-For nonclinical volunteering, I enjoyed the TA deal so I was a VTA for two more semesters. The hospital also had a nonclinical opportunity to help setup a school in a poor community (one day, about 8 hours of yard work and setting up rooms).

-I was employed at my universitiy's chemistry department for 20 months, about 10 hrs/wk spr/sum and ~16 over summer, and a supplemental instruction (half tutoring/half group study) leader position for a year (10 hrs/wk one semester, 15 hrs over 6 weeks in summer, and 18 hrs/wk final semester). Classes included college physics 2, religion, biochemistry, and genetics. I volunteered at the hospital for 8-12 hours/wk.

Another issue I'm worried about is how I handled college. I graduated last fall, 2.5 years after I graduated HS, due to AP and DE credits, summer classes, and taking a heavy course load my first year. I know I should have applied last year, but some personal issues came up I can explain if it'll help. Anyways, I'm looking at some Florida schools, and an issue that comes up is the pre-reqs, where they say if AP is taken for Chemistry, then do well in higher courses. I haven't taken any English classes in college (outside of speech and classes that required a lot of writing like Humanities and Immunobio). Will this be a serious issue? I contacted one school and the admissions dodged the question.

I also made 4 Cs (Orgo 2, Anatomy, Advanced Orgo, Neuroanatomy) and one W (Embryology, but I took the class later and got an A). Would this stand out? Also, some Florida schools recommend Biochem and Lab, which I took and got As.

TL;DR 3.53 cGPA, 35 MCAT, graduated early (cause I'm an idiot thinking that was a good idea), APs for pre-reqs, 4 Cs, one W (later A), wants to go to Florida school. What are my chances and what can/should I do in the meantime. Thank you for taking the time to help, SDN has been a more useful resource than my advisors.

EDIT: I also took classes such as Calculus 3 and Calculus based physics if that means anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I also made 4 Cs (Orgo 2, Anatomy, Advanced Orgo, Neuroanatomy) and one W (Embryology, but I took the class later and got an A). Would this stand out?
Did you take enough other upper-level science to drown out the effect of those Cs on your BCPM GPA so it won't "stand out" in a negative way? What is your BCPM GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you take enough other upper-level science to drown out the effect of those Cs on your BCPM GPA so it won't "stand out" in a negative way? What is your BCPM GPA?

I made several As in upper level science class. Including my withdrawal, my bcpm gpa is about 3.41. Does research credit (grade on S/U) also count? I got S, when put in the calculator I used brings my bcpm to 3.34.

Suggest all FL schools and all low-tiers. I think you'll be fine, unless your grades have a declining trend.

Half my Cs were as a freshman. One showed up as a sophomore, and one in my last semester. Most people at my school, including advisers and one MD/PHD professor, said I'll be fine, but I've been rejected too many times (jobs, internships, etc.) which I think is mostly due to my age (young).

No.
Does research credit (grade on S/U) also count? I got S, when put in the calculator I used brings my bcpm to 3.34.

A little bit of what some of my colleagues would call an "uneven performance", but I think you'll be OK. Sometimes one has to apply with the app one has, warts and all, and see how the interview cycle shakes out. I think you'll do fine. MSAR Online is your friend. Target schools whose median stats are closest to your own, especially with GPAs. Pay attention to the Acceptance Information page.

Half my Cs were as a freshman. One showed up as a sophomore, and one in my last semester. Most people at my school, including advisers and one MD/PHD professor, said I'll be fine, but I've been rejected too many times (jobs, internships, etc.) which I think is mostly due to my age (young).[/QUOTE]

That makes my bcpm gpa a 3.41. I wish I could tell my past self to not graduate early and at least double major. Is there anything I should be doing with my time until applying to make my application a little better? I'm already gonna start more volunteering and work in a food lab.

Thanks, I'll try to get those started soon. Taking more classes isn't out of the question, but I doubt they'll boost my gpa that much. I already took and got As in Biochemistry 1 and 2 (class most brought up by med schools) along with genetics, physio, clincial classes, etc. I would also have applied by then. Thanks both of you for your feedback.

Thanks, I'll try to get those started soon. Taking more classes isn't out of the question, but I doubt they'll boost my gpa that much. I already took and got As in Biochemistry 1 and 2 (class most brought up by med schools) along with genetics, physio, clincial classes, etc. I would also have applied by then. Thanks both of you for your feedback.
What did you get the C in during your last term?

Clincial Neuroanatomy. I just took on too much (working 30 hours a week, volunteer, TA, full time student).

The point of taking more classes (and getting As) wouldn't be to raise your GPA a small amount, but rather to change the trajectory of your downward GPA trend. You might not have some results by the time you intend to submit your application, but it would be nice to be able to update schools during the application cycle about some excellent grades, which could influence adcomms on the cusp about your file.