Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

3.53 sGPA 33 MCAT

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by ZPS111, 09.25.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. ZPS111

ZPS111

Pre-Medical
    I am trying to get into Ohio State, currently attending OSU, majoring in Biology. I come from a rural area in Ohio that is considered "underserved." Applied to several other schools, just wanted your guys opinion, here are the EC's on application:

1) Tutored High School Student- 210 hours
    2) Worked 10-15 Hours a week for 2 years (freshman+sophmore year)
    3) 200 Hours volunteering at 2 hospitals (combined)
    4) Pre-med club/ running club/ National Society of Collegiate Scholars
    5) Won an award for one research project (200 hours, ecological research, 1 semester)
    6) Helix Biological Sciences Honor Society
    7) Cardiovascular Research (760 hours, ongoing, will be 3 semesters and 1 summer)
    8) Speak to future biological science students (who are currently in high school)
    9) Was a peer reviewer for cardiovascular fellowship presentations (10 hours)
    10) Peer Mentor for the college of Arts and Sciences (Help freshman)
    11) Volunteer at a habitat for humanity Restore (Low income / diverse area)
    12) General chemistry TA for my university.
    13) 100 hours of physician shadowing

My LOR's are the following:
    1) My 2nd semester organic chemistry professor
    2) My microbiology professor
    3) A doctor I spent several hours shadowing (Also is an associate professor for at Ohio University's DO school)
    4) My PI from research (She is a professor at the med school for OSU, is on the board of academic misconduct for OSU, is the director of the research department, and well respected by OSU's medical community)

It should also be noted that I had a major injury my senior year of high school that required to undergo months of pain and eventually invasive surgery. I have used this to explain to med schools that I can relate to patients on a more personal level. I would love suggestions of schools! Any feedback will be appreciated! Thanks Guys!

Last edited: 09.26.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    You have a very good chance of being accepted to an OH school. You are two points below the median MCAT score for The Ohio State University. The 10th% gpa is 3.42. I would say your chances are fair to good.

4. ZPS111

ZPS111

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the reply! Would you or anyone mind rating my EC's?

5. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    normal.

6. ZPS111

ZPS111

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. Is ther anything (in your opinion) I can do in the future to make myself stand out?

7. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    You actually want to look like the successful students that they already have. The more you remind them of their favorite students and inspire them to be better teachers (or deans!) the more likely you are to be accepted. This usually means that you are prepared but not rehearsed, and are able to hold a conversation like an adult. I am confident that you will get interviews. Having something to talk about will be a big plus. This is a good time to find the beginning of your personal style of professional dress.

This is also a good time to work on your PS and responses to the secondaries. I've seen some real deal breakers this week...

8. ZPS111

ZPS111

Pre-Medical
    Thank you for your advice! One last thing (if you don't mind). I was accepted to the Air force academy but was unable to attend due to my injury. Is this something they would be interested in knowing?

9. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Probably not.

10. ZPS111

ZPS111

Pre-Medical

11. ZPS111

ZPS111

Pre-Medical
    Finally some good answers! One last thing (If you don't mind). If I do not get in, I was thinking about double majoring in chemistry or philosophy. Would med schools prefer one over the other? Philosophy would hopefully help me on my MCAT retake (verbal / critical thinking), but the chemistry would help my sGPA. In your opinion, which would a med school like more?

12. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    We really don't care about your major (or majors). We do expect you to care, though.
    All of your metrics are within an acceptable range. Don't sacrifice a real interest in philosophy for a minute change in your Sgpa.

Goro likes this.
  13. ZPS111

ZPS111

Pre-Medical
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate everything! You don't have to answer (for I said last question) but would brown or Dartmouth be out of the question?

14. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Neither of those is out of the question. Both have relatively small class sizes considering the number of special programs that eat up the available positions, though.

15. ZPS111

ZPS111

Pre-Medical
    Sir (or doctor), you are a scholar and a gentleman. I wish you luck in your life, and know I will always appreciate your advice!

gyngyn likes this.
  16. pestalo710

pestalo710

Just some advice I received, be wary if your LOR is from Callam, he does so many every year and unless you're very very close to him, sending his letter to OSU will not do much because it'll look like a ton of other OSU applicants.

17. ZPS111

ZPS111

Pre-Medical
    It's not from Callam, I was pretty close (still am) with the Ochem professor that wrote me a letter. He helped me study for my MCAT. Thank you for the heads up though!

18. ZPS111

ZPS111

Pre-Medical
    gyngyn,

Sorry to pester with another question, but would Case Western be a little bit of a reach? I do have significant experience in clinical research so would be be attainable?

19. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Yes, it would be a stretch. Not impossible, but pretty low yield.
    Your MCAT is right at the 10th% and your gpa is well below. I can't recommend it.

Last edited: 10.02.14

About the ads