MD rural med critique school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docshortcoat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Edited for clarity and specificity. Also I ended up going allopathic OOS with a scholarship!]

Hi folks, WAMC?

I'm from [east coast] with a desire to do rural medicine.
3.54 cGPA, 3.19 sGPA (upward trend)
513 MCAT - 128/129/128/128

Dartmouth
University of Washington
Oregon Health & Science
University of California Davis
Georgetown
State University of New York Upstate
State University of New York Downstate
University of Iowa
University of Kentucky
University of Wisconsin
Louisiana State University New Orleans
University of Southern California
University of Minnesota
University of Colorado
Howard
Meharry
Kaiser Permenante
Thomas Jefferson
Albert Einstein
Emory
University of Buffalo
Tufts University
Stony Brook University
Brown University
Charles R. Drew/UCLA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No need to go to those famous or semi famous schools. If your goal is to do rural medicine then FP is your best bet. Find a program that emphasize the training that would allow you to do so. Most of these schools you have listed do not. They're either in an urban setting or schools that have other residency programs that do not like sharing their resources. For example, working in rural medicine, you would need to learn a little bit of minor surgery. If the program has surgical residency then you're out of luck since most surgical cases will be chased after by the surgical residents. Same goes with OB/GYN. You will need to get into a program that has only FP or FP and IM without surgical residency then you will get the kind of training you desire without the competition from the others. This is not collegial. Everyone fights to get the cases b/c the best way for you to learn is to manage the cases yourself. If you have a bunch of ppl on a case then the hands on training is not as productive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What's a URM community? I come on here once in a while to see that is happening.

Your list includes a lot of schools that accept very few OOS students. The schools that accept OOS students typically have much higher stats. Colorado, Washington, Oregon are likely too far out of reach.

You do not have a good schools list. Howard and Meharry accept applicants from the African American community or those with much service to that community. You have many state public schools that accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. For example, UC Davis admitted only one non resident last year. You should also apply to DO schools since your sGPA of 3.19 is low for most MD schools.
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
UNECOM
PCOM
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM

Reactions: 1 users
Which schools would you recommend that I remove from the list?

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far!

All schools that are not included in my list.
I got a secondary from University of Kentucky due to ties I have to the state. Would you say that I shouldn't bother submitting or do I still have a chance there?

I already applied to these schools, so I will keep you updated on how it works out for me. For what it's worth, I've applied specifically to the primary care and/or rural focus programs within many of them. I've also added schools in your list (thank you!).

Not sure, to be honest. I'm both Asian and Hispanic. Does that "cancel out"?
What Hispanic group? Do you speak fluent Spanish? Do you have evidence of strong work with that community? Since you’ve applied it’s a moot point anyway. Good luck with your cycle!

What Hispanic group? Do you speak fluent Spanish? Do you have evidence of strong work with that community? Since you’ve applied it’s a moot point anyway. Good luck with your cycle!
I don't want to be more specific because I'm concerned about privacy. But I do speak basic Spanish, not fluently. Your feedback is still valuable so that I know whether I should bother to spend the secondary money!

I got a secondary from University of Kentucky due to ties I have to the state. Would you say that I shouldn't bother submitting or do I still have a chance there?

I already applied to these schools, so I will keep you updated on how it works out for me. For what it's worth, I've applied specifically to the primary care and/or rural focus programs within many of them. I've also added schools in your list (thank you!).
What are your ties to Kentucky ?

I used to work in eastern KY and I want to practice in Appalachia.

I would highly suggest you apply to UNTHSC (TCOM). On clinical years, they rotate at JPS in Forth Worth, which has one of the best family medicine residency in the US. I rotated there for my family medicine rotation (from a different medical school, so I can't speak of how training overall is at TCOM); the family med residents at JPS are FANTASTIC. They get significant training in internal medicine, and are primaries when they rotate through Ob-Gyn/Surgery, so get very well trained in doing minor surgeries. Even if you match at another medical school, JPS offers clerkship rotations to med students around the nation. No matter where you go for med school, you should aim for JPS for residency, esp if you want to do rural medicine.