3.54 sGPA, 3.46 cGPA, 32Q any chance MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmatt89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats are: sGPA 3.54, cGPA: 3.46 and 32Q..
Graduated from Vassar
I have very good EC's and letters of recommendation.

I am interested in DO because I like the philosophy, but I am also interested in applying to MD schools. However I am wondering if it is even worth it for me to apply to MD schools. Is my GPA too low? Do I have any shot or should I just save my money and apply DO?

I also have a recommendation letter from a nephrologist I shadowed who is a DO.

as an undergrad I also started my own company (a registered s-corp, in the fair trade manufacturing industry) which I worked on for 3 years, won a few entrepreneurial awards and ended up selling.

During college I had to undergo 5 major surgical procedures and I plan on writing about that experience in my PS and how it impacted my decision to pursue medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

My stats are: sGPA 3.54, cGPA: 3.46 and 32Q..
Graduated from Vassar
I have very good EC's and letters of recommendation.

I am interested in DO because I like the philosophy, but I am also interested in applying to MD schools. However I am wondering if it is even worth it for me to apply to MD schools. Is my GPA too low? Do I have any shot or should I just save my money and apply DO?

I also have a recommendation letter from a nephrologist I shadowed who is a DO.

as an undergrad I also started my own company (a registered s-corp, in the fair trade manufacturing industry) which I worked on for 3 years, won a few entrepreneurial awards and ended up selling.

During college I had to undergo 5 major surgical procedures and I plan on writing about that experience in my PS and how it impacted my decision to pursue medicine.
With a 3.54/32, the AllApplicants stats grid would suggest you have a ~65% chance of an MD acceptance. If you have an upward recent grade trend, especially in upper-level science, and excellent ECs, you're more likely to have that work out in your favor. I'd suggest you apply to both.

Thanks for your input! Do you have any suggestions as to which MD schools I would have the best shot at? I already know which DO schools I'm going to apply to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also forgot to mention, I have been actively volunteering at an LGBT health clinic and helped to start an LGBT youth suicide prevention task force. I am trying to find out if there are particular med schools known for being LGBT friendly, but haven't been able to find much online

Thanks for your input! Do you have any suggestions as to which MD schools I would have the best shot at? I already know which DO schools I'm going to apply to.

Depends on your current state of residency and your regional preferences.

Here are a few off the top of my head for starters:

MCW
SUNY Buffalo
Louisville
MUSC
VCU
Wake Forest
Virginia Tech
Kentucky
SUNY Upstate
EVMS
Drexel
Jefferson
Penn State
Temple
George Washington
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton

...and of course your state schools

I've seen threads in the main PreMedAllo and PreMedOsteo Forum asking about GLBT friendly schools that you might search out.

With a 3.54/32, schools with a decent OOS acceptance rate that you might check out for fit, besides appropriate schools in your home state:

Jefferson,
Drexel, Temple, Vermont, VCU, Virginia Tech Carilion (newer),
GWU, FIU, MUSC, EVMS, Florida Atlantic University (new),
Commonwealth MC in Pa, Cooper (new in NJ)

thanks for your help! my science gpa is a bit higher than my cum gpa. Should I go by the science gpa when looking at my chances?