• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

cdavidso

Apr 28, 2012
New Orleans, LA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am very worried about how I should approach submitting my applications this June. I am currently abroad in Japan and studying to retake the MCAT a few days after I get back to the US. My first MCAT was a 29P, and of course I am worried my retake won't be significantly higher. I would like to apply to as many schools as I can, but due to severe financial problems I can't apply to more than ten. Any advice for which schools? There's obviously no way I'm getting into Harvard med, but they sent me a 'you're a minority' letter earlier this year so I'm a little confused about that. Help?? Thank you for reading:)

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I am very worried about how I should approach submitting my applications this June. I am currently abroad in Japan and studying to retake the MCAT a few days after I get back to the US. My first MCAT was a 29P, and of course I am worried my retake won't be significantly higher. I would like to apply to as many schools as I can, but due to severe financial problems I can't apply to more than ten. Any advice for which schools? There's obviously no way I'm getting into Harvard med, but they sent me a 'you're a minority' letter earlier this year so I'm a little confused about that. Help?? Thank you for reading:)
Download this google.doc spreadsheet data (an SDN collaborative effort from 5/11), so you can fill in your own (projected) stats, and it will tell you for which US med schools you're competitive with different MCAT outcome scenarios. Next look at the in-state matriculation data before you do further research on each school for "fit," removing any from your list that take more than 85% in-state students: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmKVGWwobG5GdEx2MjlBTDE0bXFXNGFZczZqYTZKb2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

Some med schools solicit applications because the Secondary fees are a good income producer. You are right not to be beguiled by them and to use your better judgement.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.