3.55/34 Could you help me cut my list of schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acoustica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out which schools to send primaries to. Currently I have about 24 and want to know which ones I should cut/add.

3.5 overall gpa, with a slightly higher science gpa
Asian :X
Neuroscience major, Psychology minor
MCAT 34Q

Research/Lab work:
  • - I've been working in a lab for a total of 3 years now, two years spent doing research. Haven't gotten published yet. Long story short, we were in the process of starting a new project and writing a grant, but she decided to step back into the hospital scene temporarily...but I got to present the work twice at our schools annual student research symposium. Currently working under a postdoc with a paper sent and waiting to get accepted.
  • - Volunteered at another lab and learned how to slice up brains! I spent about a summer with them, but although I'm no longer working in their lab, I'm organizing a collaboration with them and one of my student orgs to bring local elementary and middle school students to tour the lab.
  • - Worked in another lab as an admin assistant for about 1 year. Small lab, so I was basically in charge of everything from ordering supplies to scheduling repairs and check ups on machines, and EHS.

Student orgs:
  • - I started our school's first autism awareness org two years ago and so far started and currently run a peer mentoring program that pairs up autistic high school and college students with university students. Also started a bi quarterly public lecture series that aims to branch the scientific side of the asd community with families, teachers, and students. We initiated and organized the first every Autism Awareness Week and raised about 1000 dollars that will be donated to the National Foundation for Autism Research.
  • - I'm vp of a neuroscience outreach group that brings university students to local schools that have scored poorly in the sciences on state testing. We go out and do interactive presentations on the coolness of the brain and nervous system. It's mad fun.
  • - I was a counselor for camp kesem at our school last year and currently working with a team of about 50 other members/counselors to raise over 75,000 to sent about 100 kids to camp this year.

Clinical experience:
-
  • Volunteered over 150 hours in the ED and Pulm special procedures unit. Not the best clinical work, but I did get to talk to a lot of patients in the ED who were waiting around and go to see a lot of bronchoscopies.
  • - Current CCE. Crazy stuff and I love it. I suppose this is the epitome of clinical work. Worked in the Medical/Surgical/Oncology Dept, Speech Therapy, and currently in the Interventional Radiology Dept.
  • - Shadowed a pediatric pulmonologist, pediatric neurosurgeon, and a radiologist. Getting a rec from the peds pulm doc, who I also did research with in the lab.

Others?
  • -Studied abroad in Cambridge this summer and country-hopped Europe. best summer of my life. Currently working as an ambassador for the program but organizing info sessions at our school.
  • -mom was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago. It was a rough time with the surgery, chemo, and radiation, but she's doing better and currently in remission

Here are my list of schools:

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Drexel University College of Medicine
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.
Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California
Mayo Medical School
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York University
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine
The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med.
The University of Vermont College of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
University of California San Francisco
University of California, Davis School of Medicine
University of California, Irvine- College/Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone? I've submitted, but i feel like I should add more schools...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing you're a CA resident. I would probably add more schools. Your list mostly consists of two kinds of schools: ones that are pretty big reaches for your GPA and ones that are everyone's "safety schools" meaning they get a ton of apps every year. Your MCAT score is very good but probably not high enough to offset your GPA at many of your reach schools. Some thoughts: The other Ohio schools tend to be pretty OOS friendly. The SUNYs tend to be pretty Cali friendly. Schools like Penn State, Louisville, and VCU and newer schools like Hofstra and Oakland are also worth checking out.

Also, just be aware that some people in the medical community equate autism awareness with anti-vaccinators, and while this is completely unfair, there's a chance you might get asked about your views on the topic.

Yeah, I'm a Cali Asian Resident. Double Whammy. I've added about 6 schools now, so I'm at 30... sigh. So freaking expensive.

What do you think my chances are though?

So which 6 schools did you add? I was coming here to suggest adding the University of Arizona Schools of Medicine (Tuscon, Phoenix), Medical College of Wisconsin, and the SUNYs (Upstate, Downstate, Stony Brook)

Also, whats up from a current CCE lol

I added:

Toledo
Cincinnati
Buffalo
Stony Brook
Colorado
Penn State

If I were you, I wouldn't waste your money with Stanford unless you've got a connection there - they dont offer many interviews.

Also, why 30? Why not your top 15? Money issue aside, I'd worry about being able to complete all of those secondaries in a timely manner and to the best of your ability.

True, but I've been talking to a lot of people who keep telling me to apply broadly and to many schools because of my mediocre stats. I suppose it's finding the right balance, but at this point, I'm not sure that I can do.

If I were you, I'd cut some of the reach schools out. As in, pick 3-5 you really like and can really devote time to the apps/interviews. I think when people say apply broadly (someone correct me if I'm wrong), they generally mean don't apply to two schools and apply to a wide range of types of schools (safety, reach, medium, research focused, primary care focused, IS, OOS). it doesn't necessarily mean apply to 30 schools.