MD 3.55 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 511 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoosierMD92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I sent out the majority of my secondaries last month. Just waiting to hear back on interviews. So far I have one with my home state (Indiana). Just wondering what my chances are for the other schools. I finished a masters program last year in biology (3.8 GPA) so I'm hoping this will help me. I'm worried about the lopsided MCAT score a bit. Currently work in the health care field in pathology, I'm hoping this will look good on my application.

MCAT: 511, Physical 130, CARS 125, Bio 131, Psy 125

Schools I applied to: IU, OSU, Cincy, UIllinois, Rush, Loyola, Louisville, Tufts, Drexel, UNC, UF, USF, Wisconsin, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UArizona.

Any suggestions or advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Out of the schools you applied to you have a realistic shot at Rush, Loyola, Tufts and Drexel. Not a lot, unfortunately alot of these schools are basically just going to be donations(UC Davis didnt even take a single person outside of CA last year!). Maybe you have an outside shot at Cincinnati or U of Arizona, but ti's a long shot . You need to have above average stats OOS for schools like Illinois, UF, Wisconsin, Arizona, USF and UC Irvine. Yours are average to somewhat below average.

Now there is good news here. IU is a type of school that accepts a fairly high percent of IS applicants who interview. The data is a little old I don't have the newest MSAR in front of me but a couple years ago 591 interviews were given to ID residents and there were about 280 matriculants from Indiana. All in all, definitely sounds like well more than 50% of applicants from IS are accepted who get the interview. Just focus on the interview and do the best you can. If you want to add more schools to ensure you get in somewhere this cycle, it's not too late for DO's. You'll be competitive for any of them. CCOM and Ohio U are two good ones to start with.

Reactions: 1 user
Out of the schools you applied to you have a realistic shot at Rush, Loyola, Tufts and Drexel. Not a lot, unfortunately alot of these schools are basically just going to be donations(UC Davis didnt even take a single person outside of CA last year!). Maybe you have an outside shot at Cincinnati or U of Arizona, but ti's a long shot . You need to have above average stats OOS for schools like Illinois, UF, Wisconsin, Arizona, USF and UC Irvine. Yours are average to somewhat below average.

Now there is good news here. IU is a type of school that accepts a fairly high percent of IS applicants who interview. The data is a little old I don't have the newest MSAR in front of me but a couple years ago 591 interviews were given to ID residents and there were about 280 matriculants from Indiana. All in all, definitely sounds like well more than 50% of applicants from IS are accepted who get the interview. Just focus on the interview and do the best you can. If you want to add more schools to ensure you get in somewhere this cycle, it's not too late for DO's. You'll be competitive for any of them. CCOM and Ohio U are two good ones to start with.
Alright thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I didn't get into any school this cycle and plan on reapplying this year and to send my application out ASAP. Are there any reccomendations on schools to apply to? I've set up an appt with my state school to see what I can do differently after my interview. I've also decided against probably any out of state public schools. Any suggestions on where I'll be competitive? I plan on applying early vs last year in september.

You made a good decision not to apply to OOS public schools as you already know that your GPA is not competitive for most of those schools. Besides applying to Indiana consider these schools:
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St.. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Medical College Wisconsin
Roseman (new school accepting applicants sometime this year)
I recommend also applying to at least 8 DO schools including MU-COM in Indiana. You may need a DO LOR. The GPA-MCAT grid shows your chances for a MD acceptance are 50% unless you are URM so you definitely should be applying to DO schools also.

Thanks for the advice! Does anyone recommend any DO schools? (besides Marian which I plan on applying to) Or any MD schools i should add? This is my list so far.

Quinnipiac

Albany

New York Medical College

Penn State

Drexel

Temple

Jefferson

George Washington

Georgetown

Rosalind Franklin

Loyola

St. Louis