3.55 cGPA/3.55 sGPA/513 MCAT TX resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lord Kek

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should be able to receive some interviews from your Texas schools. Apply to at least 6 DO schools and you have 2 in Texas (UIWSOM is a new school).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Should be okay with all Texas schools selected as well as a few mid/low tier OOS with a few DO schools thrown in for good measure (and don't stick to just CCOM/PCOM/OUCOM/MSUCOM/Rowan, as these tend to get enormous numbers of apps so they're more of a crapshoot than a mid-tier DO school). Also hide your power level, if they know you won't get in for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your advice! I'll keep that in mind when applying to them, hopefully they don't discriminate against frog deities.

Only 35 hours of "miscellaneous" clinical experience (shadowing is not experience) and only 40 hours of other "miscellaneous" volunteering is way down on almost every other WAMC entry in numbers and demonstration of commitment.

@shopsteward I appreciate the feedback. Will medical schools take into account that I'm continuing to volunteer as the cycle moves forward? What would be the best course of action as of right now?

I have higher GPA and higher MCAT, but am very MCAT heavy, and TX unfortunately puts so much emphasis on the GPA. I have had much more luck at OOS MD schools surprisingly, so I would add more schools . I initially wasn't going to apply to many OOS MD schools, as most students don't leave TX, but if I hadn't I'd be a lot more worried now.

@shopsteward I appreciate the feedback. Will medical schools take into account that I'm continuing to volunteer as the cycle moves forward? What would be the best course of action as of right now?
I would hope your application has made clear that what your on-going commitments to clinical experience and volunteering are, and that this will be picked up by adcoms. If not, and you are short on IIs towards the end of the year, you could try an "update" letter to the schools you think are your best chances, setting out your additional experiences since applying and your reasons for wanting to attend that particular school.

Your stats look OK although not spectacular, and Texas is a good state to be applying from. If you get no love this year, with an additional year's worth of solid clinical experience and volunteering (it's best if you can demonstrate commitment to one particular organisation rather than flitting around several, and also if it involves underserved populations) you are definitely worth a re-app .

@ATPsynthase123

Why would you quote something when someone specifically asks you not to? It's not mandatory, but it's common decency that as a future doctor I would think is necessary. And it's just disrespectful imo.

@shopsteward Thank you for your advice and reassurance! I'll continue volunteering with the hospice organization I'm currently with and send update letters if necessary. Besides sticking with hospice, is there anything else I can do to bolster my application for possibly next cycle? Again, thank you for your help.

@ATPsynthase123 Meme magic can only bring one so far, and congratulations on your acceptance! Your praises have been heard, and prayers have been answered!

@GinnyWeasley Thanks for sticking up for me, and congratulations on your interviews thus far! You have my blessing for a coveted acceptance!